Waiting list KEGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kefew

Waiting list KEGS

Post by kefew »

Helping a friend. Offered FW but first choice CH. what's the procedure re: moving up waiting list. Any idea what the chances of success are and timescale.
KenR

Post by KenR »

It depends where they are on the waiting list and the number of offers over PAN that CHB made. Your friend need to find this out from the foundation office.

Historically CHB used to offer way over the PAN so there was a huge amount of movement, maybe only 5-10 from the waiting list, however there are rumours that this year they haven't offered as much over PAN.

We were in exactly the same position about 5 years ago, he didn't get into CHB and went to KEFW but in hindsight it's worked out well. KEFW is a great school.
kefew

Post by kefew »

Thanks KenR. I suspect he must be quite high on list as only a few points between CH and FW but mum is checking today. I agree FW is good school and was my DS first choice but often CH local. Do you think a call to CH will assist. Do you know if they will take from FW first or children who didn't get anything - I suspect it's the next highest point wherever they ended up but don't know for certain.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If they offer a place off the waiting list it will be to the next eligible child regardless of what they have been offered from elsewhere.
reckon a call to CH is on order!
kefew

Post by kefew »

Thanks - will tell her to call for info
KenR

Post by KenR »

I suspect he must be quite high on list as only a few points between CH and FW but mum is checking today.
Don't think this is necessarily the case. I wouldn't want to set expectations.

There are actually 22 points between KECHB 553 and KEFW 331

At around the pass marks there are typically between 12-14 candidates who achieve the same standardised pass mark so in a worse case there could be up to say 300 candidates ahead of your friend's son.
kefew

Post by kefew »

A sobering thought - Think friend has decided that a bit like Harry potters sorting hat the school chosen is probably the best fit after all.
KenR

Post by KenR »

You can tell your friend that KEFW has one major downside - the ultra long speaches by the KEFW head at parents evenings, induction days, concert days etc etc

Otherwise it's a great school - very friendly and the children seem to intregrate in very quickly mainly because they come long distances and many travel via the green bus.
kefew

Post by kefew »

KenR wrote:You can tell your friend that KEFW has one major downside - the ultra long speaches by the KEFW head at parents evenings, induction days, concert days etc etc.
How right you are - we have now been to three explanatory evenings as to why they're accelerating gcses and I still don't have a clue what the benefits are other than to know "the journey nay be different but the destination is the same"
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

kefew wrote:I still don't have a clue what the benefits are other than to know "the journey nay be different but the destination is the same"
:D

I'm still trying to work that one out too!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now