Odd Letter from Horncastle Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Odd Letter from Horncastle Grammar

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Did anyone else receive one of these today? Basically it said if we wanted to revise our application we could as they had room. Presumably they're undersubscribed?We didn't even put them as a preference? :?

I was actually worried when we received this as I thought for a moment we must have pressed a wrong button somewhere along the line!! :)

Ironically we haven't heard from Caistor whom we did put down and whose place we were delighted to accept! :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds like they are undersubscribed and looking for peoplewho might want to change their minds... happens from time to time around the country as schools want to be full!

I'm sure you will hear from caistor in time.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

seem to remember a head rang you - was it the same one? Must be keen :)

Hope your DC enjoys Caistor well done :D
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks for your kind words, Wonderwoman. No, the Head who phoned was from Alford! I'm sorry, I certainly didn't mean to brag, it's just as this is my first time through the 11 plus I was rather confused by it all and couldn't understand why on earth Horncastle would write at all as we didn't put them on our preference sheet. :roll:
gogogirl

Post by gogogirl »

Perhaps as a member of the the lincolnshire consortium they are privy to information regarding ooc test takers?? I have heard of cases where Grimsby children havent received places at either King Edward or Caistor due to oversubscription so maybe the school are making sure parents know there are grammar school places available??
We received a welcome letter from King Edward yesterday along with a separate one addressed to my daughter welcoming her to the King Edward family. A nice touch and cheered dd up as she was in hospital with suspected appendicitis. :roll:
Also included admission information form to be sent back no later than 19th March which coincidently is also the latest date for accepting your offer. No ulterior motive there then :wink:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Horncastle has not filled its places this year so they are obviously trying to get some more people interested. I am not sure, however, how they get to know about people who did not even put them on their CAF or sit the exam at the school.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I do hope your daughter's better soon gogogirl. It is a nice touch from King Edward's.

Presumably then they knew that you had accepted the place? I still don't know how the whole thing works. Is the admissions' form a general admin, emergency telephone numbers sort of thing?

Does anyone know when they have the taster days, assuming they have them?
gogogirl

Post by gogogirl »

Thank you Ourmaminhavana she is home now.
Regarding taster days ours are 30th June to 2nd July but not sure if all schools have them at the same time.
I am not sure whether the school would know so soon or how that we had accepted the place. We received an information sheet ages ago regarding test dates, results dates, caf form dates etc and on that sheet it did say follow up letter sent from the school 2nd March so it was always predetermined. I wonder if being in catchment they assume you will accept the place?? I think the request to send back the ethnicity and admission form by the 19th is to see if you have accepted the place so if not they can offer to other candidates from ooc. The form I mentioned earlier also has the 7th April as the closing date for late applications presumably when unaccepted places are reallocated??
Congratulations to your son on attaining a place at Caistor :D
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I didn't think you were bragging ourmaminhavana :D

I'm not surprised you're pleased and proud of your DC.

I'm just interested in the situation really - everybody I know got their first choice, even when they are quite some way OOC. (I know some areas will be different.) It's not so long ago that children quite close to catchment boundaries didn't get into Horncastle and had to appeal. For schools to maintain their staffing levels they have to maintain pupil numbers.

I think I'm quite pleased that heads are being proactive about filling places :? , but I'm still making my mind up.

Anyway I meant, genuinely, about your child enjoing Caistor - it always feels good to get your first choice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now