Tiffin Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
whichwitch

Tiffin Appeal?

Post by whichwitch »

Hi my son has ADHD and Tourette's Syndrome. He scored 120 on VR but only 99 on NVR for Tiffin giving him 219 over all. This is very odd as his strong suit was always NVR and was getting close to 100% on practice papers.

He was sat in a smaller room for the test but finds unfamiliar situations very stressful and did say that he was finding it really hard during the NVR to control his tics as he didn't want to distract anyone else... This led to him finding it incredibly hard to concentrate and might explain the unusually low score.

I am considering appealing, he is predicted high level 5s in his Sats and his CAT tests from Yr4 put him in the top 10% nationally.

Is it worth an appeal do you think?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi whichwitch - have you had a look at the FAQ at the beginning of the appeals section? Lots of info there -

also I have been hunting to find what the cut off score for Tiffin boys was this year, found the girls but not the boys - do you know what the figure is?
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Hi, the cut off this year was 228. I have read the FAQs and I do feel we have a case given his special needs. He is also on the G+T register for science, would that be worth including as well?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi whichwitch

I am not sure of the testing arrangements for Tiffin, but there may be an invigilator's report for the test. That may mention your son's tics during the test, and would be very helpful.

Any evidence of high ability (G&T) etc is helpful at an appeal. There are several Forum members who have appealed successfully for Tourettes children this year and last year. I will try to alert them to this thread and I am sure that they will do all they can to support you.

Sally-Anne
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Hi Sally-Anne, I think his problem was that he was concentrating very hard on not ticcing which tends to give him massive concentration issues and headaches.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hi whichwitch,
Have just read your post.
We were one of the Tourettes families mentioned by Sally-Anne,feel free to send me a pm & I'll help all I can.
Concentration is a big problem with TS as the sheer pressure not to tic has the opposite effect & can cause them to go into overdrive.
Was your DS allowed any breaks at all ? These can be allowed under certain circumstances.
Wishing you all the best,
Sallyj
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Hi Sallyj, i remember you from your thread on the SEN board, hope all is well with you and your son. I have PM'd you :)
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Just a small update.. I spoke to our education department at the council today and they think we should appeal. I don't want to say in public right now (paranoia!) what the reason that has emerged as the basis for the appeal is until we actually submit it and I know that one person at the council saying we should go for it means little really but it has given us some hope.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi whichwitch

That sounds hopeful. If you need to share confidential information with Etienne and I you can email the appeals box.

We can then make an informed reply to you on here (or privately, if necessary) without disclosing the confidential aspects of your case.

As sallyj and others know, I have a soft spot for Tourettes cases. No particular reason, other than that I think it is a much misunderstood disorder.

Sally-Anne
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

Hi Sally-Anne, I have emailed the appeals box with what we now understand might be the main thrust of our appeal now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now