Decision time!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shefnish

Decision time!!

Post by shefnish »

I am little bit confused about the School my DS should choose. The choice is between KECHB and KES.
my DS initially was keen to join KES but now wants to go KECHB as his few friends are heading to KECHB.
The main point which created confusion is that I notice from the school reports that more pupils are offered places at Oxford/Cambridge from KES than from KECHB.
I know there are 125 students entering every year @ KES and about 90 @ KECHB.
But apart from number of students, are there any other factors? Can any one please inform/explain, if possible?
shefnish
KenR

Post by KenR »

Only the fact that KES has dropped A Levels and now does IB in the 6th form whereas KECHB does A Levels.

I really wouldn't look too mcuh into the Oxbridge stats, these vary dramatically from year to year - it's very much a lottery. It's also far to early to consider these issues. Given the drive ffrom the government to get more state pulils going to Oxbridge I would suggest that for the same ability child there is more chance of getting a place from KECHB than KES.
kefew

Post by kefew »

What's his level of ability in sport / music. If he's got a keen interest he might find there are more opportunities at KES. However, if he sees himself as a budding working class hero his private school attendance may hold him back when he's telling of the hardship of his youth in the Oxbridge student bar :wink:
kefew

Post by kefew »

Of course - he could say he sacrificed his own place at CH to allow a child who couldn't afford KES to have a great edu ation at CH - a bit like sponsoring a child :lol:
shefnish

Post by shefnish »

Thank you.

My son is quite keen in playing Cricket and Badminton/Tennis. He is also taking his grade 2 exam for keybord soon.

I know it is quite early to think about Oxbridge at this stage, But once you join the school, it is very difficult to change and so I am looking in to these matters at this stage.
shefnish
fm

Post by fm »

One reason KES may have so many Oxbridge entrants is that they lure students who have performed outstandingly at GCSE at their original schools with the bait of large bursaries. It would certainly be interesting to know how many are in this category.

The only child in the history of my son's comp who got 11 A*s was given a free place at KES on sixth form. For what it is worth, I think that child would have got to Oxbridge even if he'd gone to the worst school in Birmingham for A levels.

Oxbridge entrance is a little like winning scholarships to KES/KEHS. There are naturally gifted children who do both by simply working hard at school. Then there are the next tier who, with a huge effort, may manage both....And then there are the rest of us.

I suspect KES probably goes the extra mile for the ones who need more input.

Interestingly enough, almost 25% of this year's Oxbridge entrants from KES are for modern foreign languages which suggests they may have a very strong department in this area.
deny

Post by deny »

Very interesting information about KES loading the 6th form with the best of the rest. I had no idea that scholarships were awarded again in the 6th form, and as you say, it'd be interesting to know how many there are at this point.
We have a similar decision as shefnish, between Bishop Vesey & KES, but have pretty much decided to accept the free place at our local grammar school, rather than the fee paying place on the other side of town.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Interestingly enough, almost 25% of this year's Oxbridge entrants from KES are for modern foreign languages which suggests they may have a very strong department in this area.
This probably is one explanation; most of the Oxbridge offers in the girls school KEHS are for langauges, Classics and Maths - I'm not aware of any for Medicine. Lots of girls from KEHS do medicine
shefnish

Post by shefnish »

I am grateful to all the contributors.
I think it has almost confirmed my doubt that Oxbridge offers may not for the subjects/professions which are not in as high demand as some others.

My son also now says He definitely wants to go KECHB as his five friends from his school are going to the KECHB school, and I personally also thinks KECHB is the right School for him.

Thank you.
shefnish
sunray

CHB or KES

Post by sunray »

Our son also has a choice of CHB or KES.

Even though KES is nearer and he got a small scholarship we will choose CHB.

I'm not convinced that KES is sufficiently better than CHB to justify the cost. I'm sure he will do as well at either school.
Also his sister is at CHG and absolutely loves it. Anytime we visit such as last night's parents' evening we get a great feeling about the school.

We hope for the same with CHB.