Going to view schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anxiousyear

Going to view schools

Post by anxiousyear »

My DD is year 5 and we have to decide whether to take both Kent and Medway test. We went to see Roch Grammar at their open day last year and liked it so Medway is a cert. However we want to see Gravesend Grammar too but when a friend rang them to ask for a visit for her DD she was told they were too busy with exams and to get in touch in June. Trouble is I think we have to register in June for the 11 plus test. So we are left in the position of having to register for Kent without knowing whether we would in fact want to send our DD to GG. Did anyone else find themselves in this position last year? Did you manage to resolve it? Thanks.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Why not just register. You can decide later whether you actually take the test.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Call KCC I have always found them very helpful. This year you had to register by early July so it may be a similar date this year.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Don't quote me, but I think you can register your interest online for the Kent 11+ from 1st June to about the middle of July.

My DD1 is in yr10 at Gravesend Girls Grammar and last year, sometime in June, the girls got the afternoon off school but then had to return in the evening to show around prospective 11 plus children and parents.

Exams are in may and june, so I think they open evening was towards the end of June, after they had finished. I've just checked DD's school calendar for the rest of this year, but the open evening date isn't on there, so presume a final date hasn't been decided on. But as dadofkent says, you can always register but decide at a later date. Would agree with doodles too that KCC Education people are friendly and helpful.

Check the local papers to see when the date is published, or if I get a letter home about it I'll post it here.

If you have any questions about the school though, just sent me a PM (private message) and I'll do my best to answer them!
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

Register for the test - I think all you are doing is registering your 'interest' at that time. I know that about 20 of the kids in my son's class registered this year, but only 14 or so ended up actually taking it - no problems caused at all.

I know that OFSTED is prowling around Gravesend this week too - so may have been why you got a 'quick' answer in relation to the open day. They will have an open evening though for current year 5's before the summer, and then they will have some open mornings and an open evening after 11+ results so that students attending know they have the opportunity to apply.
anxiousyear

Post by anxiousyear »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Has put my mind at rest about registering. Good to know that there will be open days before the summer too.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

It will be advertised in the local papers as a 'Year 5 information evening' - or check their website closer to the time as it should appear on their calendar as well :)