what is reasonable travel time to school? Halliford vs St Ja

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confusedparent

what is reasonable travel time to school? Halliford vs St Ja

Post by confusedparent »

Just wondering what a reasonable school journey time would be... Is - an hour door to door too much?

Also does anyone have any opinions on Halliford school in Shepperton? Trying to decide between Halliford & St James...

Unfortunately, my DS did not make the grammars or Hamptons.

Please advise
Tks
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

I think it depends a bit on how easy the journey is. If a change of train/bus is required and how reliable and frequent it is. I think 45 minutes is doable and 1 hour max. if it is an easy and reliable journey. The other key issue is what time school finishes and what time clubs/sports finish. Leaving school at 5.15pm in winter is tough if you have an hours journey and then 2 hours homework. It is also worth finding out from the registrar how many boys come from your area to get a sense of whether he would have travel companions which makes all the difference. We opted for an easy 35 minute journey but in reality it takes our son 45 minutes to get home by the time there is a delay, detour via the sweet shop etc. The dark nights are harder but no problem in the morning.
Thisismadness

Post by Thisismadness »

Both schools are great - I have friends at both and my son also sat for both (but is going to kgs, mainly because of the journey from us). Halliford is a lovely small boys' school where everyone seems to know everyone and it has a lovely friendly atmosphere. Friend with a son who is very sporty went there having not got into Hampton and it was the best thing that ever happened - in all the teams and having an absolute ball. Academically he's also doing very well. St James also seems lovely and obviously will become even better with the move to Ashford and new facilities. We personally loved the ethos although I know it's not to everyone's taste. Looked into journeys very closely for my son and was still undecided - basically St James starts earlier at 8.20, but is right next to the station (300m away) whereas Halliford starts later at 8.45 but is a walk from station. Also from us there were only 2 trains an hour to Halliford which meant if he missed that train....he'd be really late! Really comes down to where you live and the trains from there - suppose all things being equal I'd go for Halliford with the later start? I've just realised that this answer is probably too late as you'll already have made your midn up, today being deadline day! Good luck to your son whichever you chose - don't think you can go too far wrong with either school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now