Phonecall from a waiting list after accepting another school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Feeley

Phonecall from a waiting list after accepting another school

Post by Feeley »

Has any one been in that position where they have had a phone call from a school where they were on a waiting list, now offering a place after having already accepted and paid the deposit on another school ?

Obviously you would lose the deposit (up to £2500 in some cases) :evil: . Presumably you would not have to pay the first term's fees if you give them a term's notice.

Has anyone ever changed their minds and forefeited their deposit by changing their mind to choose the school that phoned ?
dukey66

Post by dukey66 »

we had to make a decision on our second choice by 3 March and decided we would accept at the last minute, ie by hand delivering on the evening of the 3rd march. We decided that if we did get offered our first choice (on waiting list) after that we would forfeit the deposit (£500 plus the first terms fees which a lot of schools insist on). We just felt that we could not afford to lose a place in hand. one justification was that the second choice would involve costly train travel and our first choice was within walking distance. we also felt it was a small percentage compared to what we would be paying for the next 7 years! I was very lucky that I did not have to test the theory as we got the call offering us a place at our first choice at 830am on 3 March, so realise it is easy for me to say what we would have done as we were fortunate we did not have to put it into practice.
another mother

Post by another mother »

We've known quite a lot of people who have done this - you are usually ok until the start of the summer term - then you become liable for the first term fees - but all schools are different and some have huge deposits now. Best to check the small print. Many of our friends got wait list places at DAOs and HBS - so hardly a loss in the long run! There will be a lot of movement yet I'm sure.

A couple of DDs friends have also paid large deposits for sixth form places but now plan to stay on at her school. Not sure if they have all told the schools though.
Feeley

Post by Feeley »

Another mother - thanks, what indie schools did they turn down in favour of DAO and HBS ?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We accepted an indie place last year and was then offered a place off the waiting list for our 1st choice grammar school.

We ended up paying the first term's fees but were more than happy to do that - we got the better school for our dd AND we saved over £84,000 in school fees, well worth it!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
another mother

Post by another mother »

CLSG, NLCS, SHHS - all great schools too in many ways, and sometimes turned down with real regret but sensible prudence. for a lot of people they were very genuine back up and would have been taken if the selectives hadn't come through in the end.

We also know a number of people who have started down the indie route - and indeed the state route, and then had places come up at for instance Camden Girls, and decided to move at that point - from Channing and FH for instance. One thing worth remembering at this point is that if things don't work out it remains possible though not easy to move in the future and a surprising number of people do.
Thisismadness

Post by Thisismadness »

It's worth checking the smallprint of the terms and conditions as you may be pleasantly surprised - the indie we just accepted says that the deposit is forfeited unless the place is offered to someone else and accepted (which of course it will be - it's a popular school) in which case, you just pay an admin fee! I was really surprised as they're missing such an obvious chance to make money but there we are!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I did the brave thing of not accepting two schools whilst waiting for the third. It paid off but 2 months later the other schools were chasing for a response so I don't think the deadlines are as fixed as the schools make out.
sj355

Re: Phonecall from a waiting list after accepting another sc

Post by sj355 »

Feeley wrote:Has any one been in that position where they have had a phone call from a school where they were on a waiting list, now offering a place after having already accepted and paid the deposit on another school ?
Changed my mind after we got our grammar choice. Asked for the deposit back (around £2,000 at that time three years ago), got it back minus a very small administrative fee and then donated it to two different charities. It was the decent decision by the private school that compelled me to behave decently as well. 8)
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Is £2k a normal deposit for a day school place - seems very excessive. :shock: Lots of the boarding schools ask for figures around the £500-£1000 range!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now