Sleaford Girls High...Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

valiantlad

Sleaford Girls High...Appeal

Post by valiantlad »

I know that that all appeals are assessed independantly but does anyone know what the history is of appeals to the Sleaford Girls High?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello valiantlad,
There are usually a few successes each year, including non-qualification appeals. As it is a Community School the appeals are organised by the LA.
Having read your other thread and message I would like to assure you that most of the panels hearing these appeals are very experienced and sadly some have undoubtedly met circumstances like yours before. They are generally very sensitive and are at pains to minimise any distress for the appellant as much as possible. Similarly I think you will find the LA presenting Officers and the headteacher kindly.
I have little to add to what Etienne and Sally-Anne have already advised about how to approach the appeal - you do need to present your mitigating circumstances and say about the effect they have had on your child and if you do this fairly fully then I think you will face very few questions about this aspect.
I think the academic evidence is probably going to be more problematic. You need to talk to your primary headteacher about this to see what they are going to be able to say. However, you are only 3 marks off so that is an encouraging start.
I will try and find you some figures about the appeals from the last couple of years.
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

Thanks for the reply, I have seen the Head today and she and my DD's teacher fully support the appeal. They also made comments that since Oct 2008 they had noticed that her confidence in School has decreased....this maybe put down to a couple of comments that were made to her by other pupils about the recent change in her life.

At KS1 her results were 2A's across the board and her KS2 predicted grades are all 4B's with a chance of a potential 5 in reading & maths.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The levels are rather low for what what a panel would normally be expecting so I think the thrust of your argument will have to be that she has the potential to do a lot better and that her work has been affected over a period by the life events - you are going to need your head teacher's full support to say that there is some evidence that she could achieve much more highly.

Last year KSHS was not oversubscribed at allocation date. There were 9 successful non-qualification appeals.
The year before the school was oversubscribed. There were 5 non-qualification appeals of which 3 were upheld and 5 oversubscription-only appeals of which 2 were upheld.
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

When I spoke to her H/T yesterday I mentioned the predicted SATS scores and she said that it's a totally different sort of examination and that they have had people who were at level three go to GS after passing the 11+.

I have to say I have my doubts about that.

She intimated that DD woulkd get their full support however which was nice.

I have to say though if I'm pushing a bad situation I would rather not go through all this for nothing, and from what i read on here it seems that SA predictions carry a lot of weight.
Alex

Post by Alex »

When I spoke to her H/T yesterday I mentioned the predicted SATS scores and she said that it's a totally different sort of examination and that they have had people who were at level three go to GS after passing the 11+.
Actually it is true - there have been children who have passed the 11+ and then gone on to get a level 3 at SATS. However, they have often been tutored very heavily, are few and far between and sadly they usually struggle once they are at the school which is very destructive of their self confidence.

Also the trouble is that if you pass the 11+ that's it - but when you go to appeal you have something to prove to the satisfaction of the panel.

However, the 217 score is not too far off - people do win appeals with that score and you have the support of the headteacher which is good - I am sure that they would not want to offer support if they thought it was not an appropriate school for your child. The importance of SATS predictions depends a bit on what other evidence there is. It is more problematic where there is nothing else to offer in the way of academic evidence.

You don't have anything to lose by appealing - you can't end up in a worse off position, only a better one. I know it may seem an ordeal but it is one worth going through, if you can face it, if you feel that your child would be best placed and happiest at this school.
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

I contacted the KSHS today and found out that they were oversubscribed.

To my mind it weakens any non qualification appeal as there may be people who have actually passed who will be appealing.

I know I'm amongst experts on here so I'll wait for a response.

Thanks
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Didn't make any difference in our case, although I worried about it. I thought we might have to prove our case on underperformance and then fight for a place because of oversubscription. But we didn't - just put our case using academic evidence. GS was then directed to accept her.
Alex

Post by Alex »

There were 5 non-qualification appeals of which 3 were upheld and 5 oversubscription-only appeals of which 2 were upheld
In those figures lies your answer! The non-qualifiers had a slightly higher success rate even though the school was oversubscribed.

If the panel deems your child suitable for a Grammar school education then they will go on to look at whether your arguments for wanting the school outweigh any prejudice to the school in taking an extra pupil in the same way as they would consider them for a child who entered the appeals process already qualified. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if you are successful in the appeal against non-qualification and you would have got a place had you qualified at the normal time, your chances are very high.
valiantlad

Post by valiantlad »

Appeal was commenced on the 4th May where the school and the LEA laid out there case to appellants, of which ther were 27.

Individual appeal held on the 5th May.

Letter received 15th May - appeal upheld - all the grief now seems worth it.

Thanks to all who helped.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now