Cockroaches on trains - help!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
um

Cockroaches on trains - help!!!!!!!!!!

Post by um »

OK, I don't mind spiders much but have an abiding fear of cockraches. Has anyone seen this article?!?

Cockroaches cluster on trains
The average railway carriage is providing a home for up to 1,000 cockroaches, 200 bed bugs and 200 fleas, it has emerged.

By David Millward, Transport Editor
Published: 12:01AM GMT 03 Mar 2010
Years of spraying insecticide has failed to tackle the problem.
The cockroaches are to be found behind lighting and ceiling panels, while the bed bugs make their home in the seating fabric.
Now train operators are involved in talks with Rentokil which could see carriages being heated up to tackle a problem which has beset the industry since it started carrying passengers.
Trials have already taken place under which carriages have been taken out of service and heated to 56 C to kill not only the bugs but also the eggs.
In addition, it is claimed that turning the temperature up, means that the whole carriage is treated – unlike using a spray which may leave pockets untreated.
A recent survey by Passenger Focus, the consumer watchdog, found that most of the travelling public was reasonably content with the level of cleanliness of their trains.
Only two train operators, National Express and Northern attracted a significant level of criticism with 19 and 18 per cent of passengers respectively describing their carriages as being dirty.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Cockroaches are like rats, they're everywhere but you rarely see them and, wherever they are, they infest the place :shock: :shock:

I lived in Singapore and Cyprus for years, cockroaches were an everyday occurence. They won't hurt you, don't worry about them.
youngest

Post by youngest »

Should I spray my Mum when she visits - before I let her in the house - just in case she's bought friends with her from the train?

I thought from one of the kid's TV programs that Cockroaches were very difficult to kill - you can't freeze them to death and you can't heat them to death!

:shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You can stamp on them though :shock: :wink:
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

I grew up in NZ and we had cockroaches - not the flying sort thankfully, but these huge scuttling monsters that could be as large as 2 inches long. They would come inside when it rained and then drop down from the ceiling onto your head. Uggh.

I have a massive phobia about them so I am glad I no longer commute by train.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

having travelled on National Express last week, I can well believe it.

No water in the toilets and the trains were filthy. Mind you any self -respecting insect would probably be far too discerning!
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

I really wish I had not opened this thread because all I will think about when I am on the tube or train are horrid creep crawlies :twisted: I have to go into London on Wednesday and really wish I wasn't!!
youngest

Post by youngest »

Snowdrops wrote:You can stamp on them though :shock: :wink:
:lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

You can cook them too. Once had a great meal where a cooked cockroach was lurking under a sliced tomato.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have just moderated myself. Sorry about the other smiley I just posted. A bit graphic methinks! :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now