French or business studies

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tree

French or business studies

Post by Tree »

Hi all, another choices question my daughter is deciding what gcse options she should do and we have everything sorted except she doesn't want to do a language (french) but wants to do business studies her argument is that she feels she is more likely to get an a* for bs than french as she is more interested and doesn't like french and getting a*'s is more important. if we assume this is true then is this correct certainly when i have checked uni entrance requirements the number of a*s seems to be the crucial thing rather than wether they contain a language even oxbridge didn't stipulate a language at gcse, any input would be gratefully recieved??

Her other options are mainly "academic" history geography and music plus the usual sciences ict maths english etc
loulou

Post by loulou »

Some universities are beginning to ask for a language at GCSE. UCL seem to be asking for a MFL for entry from 2012 and expect others will follow. A couple of friends of my sons have taken up language classes outside school for GCSE (as they dropped french at the end of year 9) for that very reason. I would certainly do your research very carefully before making that final decision.
Last edited by loulou on Sat May 29, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think with universities havin so many applicants that they will start to increase the basic requirements - I think they are likely to start expecting MFL GCSE. Also useful if ever you do work in business to managing a smidgeon of french.... my dire O level french still comes in handy when booking hols etc
KB

Post by KB »

I think that many Universities are likely to introduce it as a requirement & even where it isn't 'official' they may see it as a 'gap' if its missing.

Might also close off some options of courses/career later on?
doodles

Post by doodles »

It certainly always used to be a requirement and I can understand the argument that it may come back again. I would certainly encourage my children to take one when their time comes.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Tree

Post by Tree »

thanks for replies really helpful, have parents evening then options evening coming up and will decide
Tree

Post by Tree »

apparently in french today dd's teacher said to everyone that UCL were insisting on french gcse and that probably other universities would be following suit - sounds like she might have been reading this thread :wink:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Would also add that business studies can be hard to get a high grade in as there is a certain technique to answering the questions, course work is fairly lengthy compared to French and it is regarded as a softer subject.
Amber

Post by Amber »

In a word: French.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Mais...le franςais! Bien sûr! :D
Marylou