Tiffin Girls waiting list 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sherwood

Tiffin Girls waiting list 2010

Post by Sherwood »

Hello! I'm new here and looking for some advice.

My daughter is on the waiting list for Tiffin Girls and I wondered if anyone had any experience or info about how fast/much the waiting list moves and when the second round of offers are usually sent out. She scored 236 in the test and is third on the waiting list - frustrating, as she would have got in with that score in any of the past four years!

Any advice really appreciated. I thought the waiting would be over on March 2nd, but now it's even worse!!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Be patient.

The trouble with the Tiffin list is that it goes down very slowly as people tend to hold onto the place even if they, for instance, end up at an Independent in September. They may do this because they are unsure of the economics etc and don't want to turn down such a good offer.

Being so high up the waiting list is brilliant. On past behaviour it should get round to you eventually.

It is not unknown for new girls, from the waiting list, to arrive after term has started once some are found not to turn up in the first week!

Good luck
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Thanks for replying - and for the info. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people hang onto their places while they wait for other options to materialise, although it's pretty amazing that some just don't turn up on the first day of term!

I will have to be patient, clearly. My daughter is convinced she'll get a place, so I'm trying to find as much info as possible in order to manage her expectations.

Things are never simple, are they?
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Sherwood,

Although the Tiffin Girls waiting list does move notoriously slowly, I am aware of one girl who was offered a place and will be turning it down as she got a full bursuary to an independent.

One down and hopefully only two to go for your DD :D
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Oh thank you! That's good news! Let's hope there are another couple doing the same thing... I appreciate you letting me know! :D
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Thought I'd post this info here since we might start to see some waiting list movement in the next couple of days:

2010 cut off was 237, and the waiting list looks like this:

237 - 1 girl
236 - 5 girls
235 - 8 girls
234 - 6 girls
233 - 7 girls

In past years the cut off marks were:

2006 - initial cut off 234, final cut off 230
2007 - initial cut off 233, final cut off 230
2008 - initial cut off 231, final cut off 229
2009 - initial cut off 233, final cut off 231

Isn't it striking how much higher the initial cut off is this year? If it drops by the same number of points as the last couple of years then it might get down to 235 or 234. But it's all guess work at this point.

If anyone does hear that they've moved up the waiting list, or had an offer, it would be great if you could post here to let us know!
doroty

Post by doroty »

Sherwood wrote:Thought I'd post this info here since we might start to see some waiting list movement in the next couple of days:

2010 cut off was 237, and the waiting list looks like this:

237 - 1 girl
236 - 5 girls
235 - 8 girls
234 - 6 girls
233 - 7 girls

In past years the cut off marks were:

2006 - initial cut off 234, final cut off 230
2007 - initial cut off 233, final cut off 230
2008 - initial cut off 231, final cut off 229
2009 - initial cut off 233, final cut off 231
Hi, I'm a newbbie here... May I ask where did you find out this numbers? I will be in your place next year, as my DD is in Year 5 now and I would like to know where to ask... Does the school tell you this? Thank you.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Hi Doroty

Welcome! The numbers were on the letter from the school that came with the results of the test. The letter also includes the number of children taking the test each year. FYI this year it was 1171 - about 200 more than the year before. Gulp.

Good luck to your daughter next year!

Sherwood
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Spoke to the admissions office today, and they said they won't have any information regarding second round offers until tomorrow afternoon!

This waiting is interminable!
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

So sorry sherwood,the wait must be awful. :cry:

At least with allocation day we had a deadline.

I hope you hear good news soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now