Off the beaten track!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bromley mum

Off the beaten track!

Post by bromley mum »

My DC's school (in Year 3) asks them to do a project on a place they've seen or been to in London. My eldest didn't want to do the ones which come to mind easily (Buckingham Palace etc). So we went to see the Sherlock Holmes museum. When it was the 2nd DC's turn we visited The Golden Hind and then this year for child 3 we visited the Old Operating Theatre Museum (the oldest operating theatre in Britain). Its been a valuable experience for the whole family. I thought with the summer holidays approaching I'll ask if any of you could post names of places worth visiting in your areas which don't appear in travel guides.
doodles

Post by doodles »

It is in the guide books but I can highy recommend Greenwich Park. Shame on us but we had never been there before but had a fabulous family day out there. The Maritime Museum at the bottom of the park was wonderful, then we had a picnic in the park and went up the hill to the Observatory. Even better that was FREE. It was one of our best family days out for a long time - can highly recommend.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
doodles

Post by doodles »

Bedgebury Pinetum is great - fantastic family day out. Cycling and adventure walks. Can "google" for all the details but would HIGHLY recommend.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

http://www.rigb.org/contentControl?acti ... nt&id=1002

The Royal Institution of Great Britain has fantastic family days -first Saturday of the month.

We try to go every month becuse it's always another theme.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

We love Bedgebury as awell - good for cycling and walking.

Also, you can get 'Seven Wonders of the Weald Pass' (approx £30) which allows you several free entries into Bedgebury and Bewl Water (another fab place) plus other local attractions. It saves us alot of money.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks Pheasant didn't know about that but will def get one - could save us a fortune. Still think that Bedgbury is v good value though.

Penshurst Place is a little expensive but has the most AMAZING wooden adventure playground - better for smaller children (7yrs ish) I would say - but huge fun, a good cup of tea and very nice loos!!!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Thanks pheasant chick and doodles. Didn't know about these. Will definitely go there.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

pheasantchick wrote:We love Bedgebury as awell - good for cycling and walking.

Also, you can get 'Seven Wonders of the Weald Pass' (approx £30) which allows you several free entries into Bedgebury and Bewl Water (another fab place) plus other local attractions. It saves us alot of money.
For Bedgebury you can park in the free car-park on the opposite side of the A21 about 200 yds away.

For Bewel you can park in a lane off the B2100 that brings you up the back of the sailing club.

Two free days out if you want.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now