Dartford or Gravesend

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentmum3

Dartford or Gravesend

Post by kentmum3 »

My DS has been offered a place at Dartford Grammer but all his classmates are off to Gravesend. Has anyone had any experience with either of these schools and do they have a preference.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but why are you asking?
Are you looking at appealing for a place at Gravesend, or just wanting more information about Dartford?
kentmum3

Post by kentmum3 »

I was just after some more information on both schools really
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hi

It might help if you specify - is about getting into the school, appealing, the general ambience, results, sports activities? I am sure people would be able to help
kentmum3

Post by kentmum3 »

I am a new entry to the forum so not very good at this but I am trying to get a general feel of the two schools.

My personal opinion is that Dartford is better academically and so am heading towards that direction but if anyone has experience of teaching methods, staff, other pupils etc for either of the two schools it would be good to hear
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I was always given the impression that Dartford and Wilmington are usually compared with each other...Dartford is perceived as the more academic and traditional, and Wilmington is perceived as having better pastoral care. I have neither experience of these though, its just what friends tell me.
I have never heard a bad word about Gravesend Boys, I know of around 20 boys who have been through this school or are still there and all of them seem to have done very well indeed.

Did you put Gravesend or Dartford 1st on your CAF out of interest?
kentmum3

Post by kentmum3 »

thanks Medway Mum. Dartford was my first choice. I live that little bit closer to Gravesend but academically I felt Dartford was better for my DS
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

kentmum3 wrote:thanks Medway Mum. Dartford was my first choice. I live that little bit closer to Gravesend but academically I felt Dartford was better for my DS
I think you know your child better than anyone else, and you probably have a good idea of what type of school will suit him, his work ethic and his personality. Don't worry about friendships, he will come home from his taster day full of names, I'm sure!
NEW2THIS

Post by NEW2THIS »

kentmum3, you've just given me some hope... I was looking at Dartford Grammar's admissions policy, and I assumed that my DS wouldn't get in, if we lived nearer to Gravesend!
kentmum3

Post by kentmum3 »

NEW2THIS - If you want to get into Dartford though and live closer to Gravesend you will have to put it as your first choice - this is what I was told and it appears to have worked
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now