Tommies next week

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
koalabear

Tommies next week

Post by koalabear »

Hi all,

If you're all going to the evening next week, I will be the dizzy mum looking completely overwhelmed by it all as it still hasn't quite sunk in! :D
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

What evening? Will be there on Monday doing parent consultations but not heard anything else? Is it just for complete novices and are children going? DS2 is desperate to get back there now he knows its for definite and uniform fitting night is a bit of a damp squib as we will probably end up measuring up for DS1 who is growing out of stuff at a rate of knots.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Out of interest has anyone received anything direct from Tommy's? We have still only received the generic letter from LEA on admissions. I am sure that by this time last year we received a second letter from the school on uniform fitting etc.
Milla

Post by Milla »

you should have, because I remember the uniform fitting being in Gold Cup week which was less than helpful if coming from this side because of all the traffic. And that's not far off now - 2 weeks??
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I thought so because I was almost sure it was pretty close to the cut off date for actually confirming your offer and thinking at the time how absurd this was when there is still a fair bit of re-shuffling to go on.
Milla

Post by Milla »

exactly - there must be options to have the uniform measuring later?? I never liked having to do it 6 months ahead of time anyway - being a fervent hoper for a growth spurt!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

How ridiculous fitting 6 months before, my DS grows over night, he is now 5 foot 4 inches with size 8 rugby boots. No more growing please I am only 2 inches shorter and am terrified that when I have my double knee operation next week I will lose that slender advantage!!
koalabear

Post by koalabear »

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been on the site lately. Have you all received your letters from Tommies?

I haven't but I contacted the school for something else and they sent me an electronic version. I've pasted below the bit about the uniform, etc. I also think that it's a bit (!!!) too early to be measuring the boys but... Are DS and I going to be the only ones there, do you think?

"Unfortunately, as you are not resident in Gloucestershire, I understand you may not have received our welcome letter giving information on the ordering of school uniform. Our uniforms are made to measure and in order to provide our parents with the most cost-effective and best quality service all arrangements are managed by the Parents' Association. We would like you to come into school on Wednesday 10th March at 7.00 p.m. with your son to enable him to try on blazers to ascertain which size you wish to order. This has to be decided well in advance because the manufacturers give us a three month delivery date and, in recent years, we have only just managed to get the boys kitted out in time. The prices range from between £41 - £55 for Blazers, £5.00 for Junior Ties, £8.00 for scarves and £16.00 - £19.00 for Games Shirts. (All items to be paid for on 3rd July on collection of uniform.) Members of the Parents Association will be in the Dining Room (please see location map enclosed with this letter). If the above date and/or time are not convenient for you please telephone the School Secretary, Mrs. Brown, to arrange an alternative.

The parents responsible for ‘Nearly New’ Uniform will also be available on 10th March between 5.30 p.m. and 7.30 p.m."
Milla

Post by Milla »

slackmum wrote:How ridiculous fitting 6 months before, my DS grows over night, he is now 5 foot 4 inches with size 8 rugby boots. No more growing please I am only 2 inches shorter and am terrified that when I have my double knee operation next week I will lose that slender advantage!!
NO!! So I'm to look out for an exceedingly tall lad waving a bell, am I?
Mine is 4'7" and szie 3 feet.
How did the fittings go for everyone last night - see any nice looking other people??
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

:evil: we haven't received anything from Tommy's and do live in the county so no excuse there. DS2 is going to be very disappointed to have missed this. He has been talking about it for a while and he wants the same experiences that DS1 had. It was one of my biggest worries about having to go the appeal route.

Problems with internet mean't I couldn't get on here yesterday and am unable to email them either.

It isn't really too early as the ladies are pretty good at anticipating how much they will grow. Worked well for us last year.

Hopefully they will be running a second night for those who hear after April 1st.

Edit The Tommy's letter should have been in with the letter sent out by the authority, grrh. Did anyone else not get it?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now