West Kent - appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tudor Rose

West Kent - appeal

Post by Tudor Rose »

Would really appreciate any views on a realistic prospect of a successful appeal lconsidering the following circumstances.

Son failed 11 plus with NVR 116 Maths 132 VR 133.

No real mitigating circumstances on day of NVR. Just nerves. Had done well in practice papers.

School will not support as not identified as a grammar school child. Our son was not tutored as we wanted an honest assessment of his true abilities.

However we are not able to provide excellent academic record as evidence. At 8 months old he was identified with a degree off hearing loss and speech and Language difficulties. These problems I believe have all frustrated his early education. He has at best always just been "on target"
In last 12-18 months great improvement continue to be made ie Mock SATs in Dec show 4a Maths Reading 5b and writing 5c.

Hard of hearing son is now older and delveloped strategies for dealing with his hearing loss and this is reflected in his social/sporting life too . He now has the confidence to take personal responsibilty for his hearing loss.
Would such circumstances have any impact on an appeal?

Would just like to add that after reading other people's difficulties don't feel quite alone in my quest....
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi Tudor Rose - you say West Kent could you say which area and which gs?

Only had one ds go through the system so can't really help with appeal but you are in the right place for help and advice. Welcome.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi, Tudor Rose

I think you have good medical grounds here. Could you get medical evidence from his doctor? a score of 116 is not bad at all, 118 was the minimum score required in any one subject, with a total of 360 across the board. The highest score in any of them is 140, so 133 is excellent if you compare it to the 118 minimum required

Could you ask the school to provide evidence of his SATS results too, or do you have them to hand?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Tudor Rose,

Welcome.

You say that you wanted a true reflection of your son's capabilities. The problem with that is that if other kids are tutored then their scores will have an impact on your son's. The tutored kid that has gained an extra point in nvr, and is therefore 'selective', is no more suitable for grammar than yours is.

You should appeal. You say you have no academic evidence but you do. Your son has excellent maths and vr scores and these are backed up by the class maths and english.

My dd too had a serious hearing problem which was not rectified until fairly recently and, lo and behold, her work has improved dramatically. So I believe that the hearing problem has played a part in your son's schooling too.

Please do put in that appeal otherwise you will always be wondering 'what if?'
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Thanks for all replies,appreciate your time ,views and support :lol: :lol: .

Point taken about others being tutored....didn't really think of it that way.

Yes will try to obtain professional supporting statements.

doodles, i'm looking at TWGSFB. Apparently most of their appeals last year were mainly successful for those who had passed 11+ and were appealing on grounds of choice of school!!

Well, I guess the bounderies are there to be tested.

TR
doodles

Post by doodles »

Does the school have a SENCO who could provide you with some documentary evidence?
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Tudor Rose wrote:Thanks for all replies,appreciate your time ,views and support :lol: :lol: .

Point taken about others being tutored....didn't really think of it that way.

Yes will try to obtain professional supporting statements.

doodles, i'm looking at TWGSFB. Apparently most of their appeals last year were mainly successful for those who had passed 11+ and were appealing on grounds of choice of school!!

Well, I guess the bounderies are there to be tested.

TR
There were a few successful appeals from those who hadn't quite passed allegedly! A bit of a sore point amongst some parents whose children did pass but failed to get in on distance I gather.

Not casting an opinion either way, just quoting heresay!
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Just1-2go

Thanks for your info. Very interesting and I can appreciate the frustration for those seeking such few places.

TR
jingle

Post by jingle »

Can I just point out that the minimum on any one paper was actually 117. As your son also scored over the 360 cumulative score he was, in fact only one point short of qualifying. Other scores are very good.
Good luck if you appeal.
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Thanks for confirming that for me, it was my initial understanding too.
After much consideration we will appeal and just keep everythings crossed!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now