Tricky situtaion childs teacher

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CCHSsmiley

Tricky situtaion childs teacher

Post by CCHSsmiley »

I have deceided to remove oringinal post as the comments are becoming off topic and getting rude. Please do not criticise me for doing this. You know, I think I'm going to stop using website as people seem to ready to have a go at you- not just at me but on other posts I have noticed this happening to other members.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Have you looked at the school's maths policy? How do you know that she is teaching the wrong methods? there are so many methods that schools make a choice over which to teach - in fact, these choices are often made by groups of schools within a region. Is there a reason why she has 'disallowed' the use of the column method? Could it be that certain children need to be using a different method for now?

As a teacher and a parent, I am aware that it is impossible for parents to know the ins and outs of what goes on in the classroom. I also know that children somethimes don't adequately explain to their parents why certain events have happened. I'm not suggesting any lies have been told - although this certainly also happens (some children are extremely good at playing a parent off against a teacher - especially when they know that the parent already has a suspicion/dislike of the teacher).
CCHSsmiley

Post by CCHSsmiley »

I understand what you are saying but when a teacher says how to work out co ordinates wrong I do start to get worried. Also I am a teacher and my husband so I understand my child trying to lie they just would not do that. They were clearly not being taught different stratigies so colums should have been able for children to use them.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I have removed a couple of posts from here that were not very polite
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Out of interest CCHSsmiley, what do you teach?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As an independent school they would not be bound by the National Strategy so could presumably teach using any method?
CCHSsmiley

Post by CCHSsmiley »

Posted in error.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

More posts removed due to lack of politeness.
Please stay on topic.

Ed's Mum
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

The best thing you can do is go and speak to the teacher yourself. She would be able to tell you why she is not allowing the use of a certain method (there can be various reasons for this. For example in order to teach children different strategies she could ask them not to use a certain method. In this case she may be trying to highlight those situations where mental methods are more appropriate than written methods). With a little tact this situation can be resolved.
familyinthevalley

Post by familyinthevalley »

If you as a teacher, had a pupil go home and report to the parent that you weren't allowed to do things a particular way, would you want the parent automatically thinking you a carp teacher, or would you want to meet with the parent to show them the strategies taught by you, and supported by the school? Personally, I think that a 'parent against teacher' post is very odd coming from a teacher.......surely you know that the best way forward is to arrange a meet with the teacher?

As for hiring teachers from New Zealand without an interview - yup - happens all the time. OH was hired originally for the comprehensive he taught at by sending in a resume from Canada and receiving a letter of offer back. In the independent sector they also don't have to be QTS certified, and overseas teachers, usually single, are quite suited to living in accommodation on school site etc and taking on extracurricular activities that a family adult may not be able to do. I don't really think that the teacher being OTT from New Zealand is the problem, it's possibly that the strategies being taught at this school are different from what you teach - doesn't make anybody 'wrong'.

ETA: My son's state primary school holds 'math sessions for parents' each term - specifically to go over the various strategies taught to the students - as we all know they have changed so much since we all went to school. I know it may sound silly, but it ensures that as parents, we are helping our children to do things the way they are taught, not the way we were taught. When they have to show their working out in tests etc., it's important as the working out process used goes towards their marks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now