To anyone holding onto school places after acccepting indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Charl39

To anyone holding onto school places after acccepting indies

Post by Charl39 »

Hi all

I just wanted to appeal to anyone who is in the fortunate position of being offered a place at an independent and a state school. If you have decided to opt for indie please think about the child/parents waiting for the school on the state school list. Every year there are many instances of children getting places very late, sometimes on the first day of term when children do not turn up for school as they've gone to their independent. Whilst it is great that these places will be offered to the next child on the waiting list, it is a very distressing wait and quite confusing for a child to start one school then to find out the same day they have a place at another. And a mad dash for the parent to sort out a new uniform etc. (and money wasted on the previous one). One independent place could knock onto a whole series of schools also (independents too).

So if you have made your choice and paid your deposit, or if you are still wondering what to do, if you decide to choose an independent then please do let the other school know that you no longer want a place. It is the polite thing to do and would help the waiting lists move quicker and reduce a lot of anguish for children over the coming 5/6 months.

Thanks for reading. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way - I just wanted to make everyone aware that their actions affect others and if everyone stopped holding onto places the whole process might move a little bit quicker for those further down the line.

Good luck to everyone waiting! :)
Charl39
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Charl39..

I appreciate you position and desire to get a place soon. But unfortunately some of these people will not decide as they do not appreciate the stress that it causes others. They never will realise.

Have the same with people not turning up to appointments - if we charged for missed appointments it might be different :wink:
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Thanks - my policy in life is that we must keep giving out messages and try to make a difference somehow :D

Let's try and keep this message high on the forum and if a couple of people start to think and care about the implications of holding onto 2 places then that is a small success! Little steps!!
Charl39
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mmm something new for the national curriculum key stage 1....

"consider what effect your actions or lack of action has on other people"
splishy

Post by splishy »

We have opted for an indie and have let the state school know as soon as we made our decision. However our state offer did say that any places not accepted by 16th would be reallocated anyhow. Even if they don't stick to that then it seems they have a mechanism for chasing up offers not accepted.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I'm guessing that some people may accept the state school while waiting for indies and much later on inform the authority concerned they no longer need the state school place, causing much re-jigging and stress for others down the line.
Maybe it's a case of those with lots of options not quite understanding how their actions affect others - at least I like to think so
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think holding onto places will become a more common occurence in the current economic climate.
Charl39

Post by Charl39 »

Thanks Splishy, it's reassuring to know that, I'm sure there are lots of people like yourself who give up their place as soon as practicable.

Cats12
Maybe it's a case of those with lots of options not quite understanding how they're actions affect others - at least I like to think so
Maybe we can try to do our bit to help people understand how their actions can affect many others along the line - let's hope so for some positive outcomes for people in this and future admissions rounds.

T.I.P.S.Y. Good point but I hope for all on waiting lists that you are wrong!
Charl39
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Even in the current climate, spare a thought for those without numerous options with DCs who have worked hard to pass 11+, passed and still don't have a place and are waiting for those who don't want the said offer to disclose the fact as soon as possible
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We waited three months last year for someone to give up their place. If they had given back word one week later than they actually did, my dd's place in grammar school would have gone to the first successful appeal as they were about to begin. (it may have been us though :shock: ).

The three months we waited, agonising, hoping and praying (literally) each day for a place to become available was probably the worst time of our lives.

Would we do it again for the same outcome? Absolutely yes!! I cannot for one moment regret all we went through, even though it stressed us out beyond belief. But I wouldn't wish it on anyone and least of all someone who still wasn't successful after all they'd been through, at least we won first prize in the end.

Please note: Following on from the thread 'Unsupportive DH' in 'Everything Else', please read 'me' instead of 'us' - t'was only me stressing about it really :lol: