Do they name and shame at WHSG?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
haystack

Do they name and shame at WHSG?

Post by haystack »

Hi, when I was reviewing all the schools before my DD sat the 11+ there was this one that niggled me by Pseudonyms at ...

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews53603.html

I'm hoping that as it was written in 2004 that things have changed as we really do like the school and DD is so proud to get in. We are not well off and I have been told that they ask for a 'voluntary contribution' of £20 per month which at the moment we just wont be able to afford on top of the bus fares, this person says that they read out the names of those who don't pay it! True or False please?
Another worried Mum

Post by Another worried Mum »

This isn't true on two counts! Firstly, the suggested contribution is £12 per month and secondly there is no name and shame at all!

There is an opportunity to give a voluntary contribution on a regular basis if you wish to and can afford it. This was mentioned very briefly at one of the parent information events for new starters, but really was skimmed over and it is an individual decision.

Hope this puts your mind at rest! I hope that the age of this reference means that if this ever did happen, then it is no longer the practice at the school. I think that you will probably get more up-to-date and accurate information via this forum if you have any further concerns at all - there is usually someone out there with a helpful answer! :)
KB

Post by KB »

Most schools ask for voluntary donations of one kind or another so I don't think this is unusual.
As you say this is one comment from many years ago so I wouldn't worry too much.
It could be that the school was just trying to get a response to the letters.
We had something a while ago & it had various options you could tick - including something to the effect of 'I do not want to make a contribution'.
I am sure if you receive a request & make a suitable response it will fine.
And I'm certain you won't be the only one!

Please don't let worry about this spoil your excitement about the school.

Sure there will be someone from the school along soon to reassureyou further.
moved

Post by moved »

WHSB do have assemblies where coloured cards are given to boys who are not coming up to scratch.
nuttymummy

Post by nuttymummy »

If it helps, we have never been able to pay the vountary contributions for the same reasons but we've not been named or shamed yet!! :)
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

"WHSB do have assemblies where coloured cards are given to boys who are not coming up to scratch."

Is this for real????
nuttymummy

Post by nuttymummy »

Hi Alexandra,

I hope not - my DS starts there in September!! :?
moved

Post by moved »

Yes, in year 7 assemblies. I know a year 8 boy who received one. He has worked jolly hard ever since.
nuttymummy

Post by nuttymummy »

moved wrote:Yes, in year 7 assemblies. I know a year 8 boy who received one. He has worked jolly hard ever since.
Oh well - DS will just have to make sure he works hard enough. :lol:
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

It sound very draconian to me. May get the boys working but I am sure there must be other ways. I am all for discipline but that sounds very demoralising to me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now