KS3

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eraldo

KS3

Post by Eraldo »

Hi Ks3 parents
My DS is in year 7 in one of the grammar schools and he is struggling much to cope with the lessons he had to. He got in the grammar after a lot of hard work and tense. So as a parent I am thinking of tuition for the weak subjects –English, Science esp physics. can any KS3 parents please give me a list good tutors if your DS/DD are having in these subjects for KS3 followed in grammar schools, in and around Reading –that you have experienced –Please, as I am thinking of sending my DS to tuition beyond my capacity and so expect good output. You can send me the details as PM – Many Thanks for all responding.
Regards
A parent
stevew61

Re: KS3

Post by stevew61 »

Eraldo wrote:Hi Ks3 parents
My DS is in year 7 in one of the grammar schools and he is struggling much to cope with the lessons
Hi Eraldo,

Welcome to the forum. :) It seems a long time ago (we are in year 9 now) but my son found the start of year seven hard but it did get better. :D

It is a big transition, moving up to secondary school, probably travelling, having to make new friends, going from top of the class at primary to being in a class of very able children. Taking separate focused sciences and most topics they go beyond KS3 and include GCSE stuff can seem hard at first but it pays off later.

I would try and keep a sense of perspective, I always told my son that middle of the class was fine as that was heading towards A* at GCSE.

Having said that I was able to provide support on science but had to buy the Latin answer book so I could help. :wink:

We also purchased CGP books for KS3 and GCSE in most subjects :shock:

Your DS is at the school because he demonstrated that he is very able 8) in the entrance exam. Sometimes it just takes a bit of time for that ability to shine through.

We also noticed that the further up the school you go the better the teachers get.

I will PM you some further information.

steve
Milla

Post by Milla »

I'm a different region, Eraldo, but would echo what steve says (as well as taking comfort from it myself). My boy is in y 8 and it's all been a bit of an eye opener - SO different from primary school which is such a doddle! I really wouldn't go investing in tutors - could you have a word with his form tutor, or head of year? it's very easy to lose perspective when you just have your son's word for everything. It might be very reassuring to chat to the staff and see what they think - added to which it would be good for them to know the stress he is under. Good luck.