WHSG Induction Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pixie

WHSG Induction Days

Post by Pixie »

I'm too impatient to wait for the school information pack to arrive!
My DD has had a really nice letter and certificate from WHSG which says that the induction days are 1st & 2nd July. Does anyone know what happens on these days? Are they just for the girls or do the parents get another chance to look around?
Any information would be great - thanks.
DiW

Post by DiW »

Hi
My daughter is currently in Y8 at WHSG and so far we are delighted with the school. From memory, on the first induction day they take a couple of lessons and generally meet with the rest of their form and form teacher and find out what house they will be in. They had a talk from Dr Hayman as well. On the second day they take CATS tests in the morning and then do games / PE in the afternoon. The parents had a talk from Dr Hayman that afternoon and we then sorted out the uniform etc. My daughter really enjoyed the 2 days. The tests were nothing to worry about - I don't know in what way they use the results but I've never had them. They also get a homework booklet for the holidays - nothing scary but there was a fair amount of work.
Congratulations on your daughter getting in. I'm sure she will love it there
All the best
Di
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Hi Di
thanks for the speedy reply and all the useful information. I didn't realise that they had to do tests! Good thing I found out now so DD has time to get used to the idea. Do they have a choice in which house they're assigned to? Not that she minds. It's just that I came away from the open evening last year with a bit of a Harry Potter Hogwarts feel to it all!
I'm glad that you're still delighted with the school. DD is soooooo excited about going - she's had the prospectus out again and been looking at their website.
Pixie x
DiW

Post by DiW »

Hi Pixie
Really, don't worry about the tests. I think a lot of secondary schools do them when they start in September but WHSG get them out of the way early. I'm not sure whether you can specify a particular house - in general I think they are just allocated one.
I well remember being in your position and wanting to find out absolutely everything I could. The induction days were really helpful for that.
They offer so much at WHSG - I really feel my daughter is very lucky to be there and to have such opportunities. They work hard but they seem to have a lot of fun as well.
All the best
Di
nuttymummy

Post by nuttymummy »

Hi Pixie,
Just to let you know they can make a preference to which House they would like to be. I only know this as my daughter wanted to follow her aunt's footsteps and be in Bohun like her.
I hope that helps and congratulations!! :D
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Thanks Di & Nuttymummy
actually DD didn't seem at all concerned about extra tests - must be all the SATs practice they're doing at the moment. Never heard of CATs before so you can tell that DD is our oldest!
Now DD has another question - can she ask to be in the same form as the other girl she knows who will be starting at WHSG in Sept?
Thanks
Pixie :P
DiW

Post by DiW »

Hi Pixie
Yes, she can ask and they will do their best to accommodate it. It's quite interesting though that most seem to break away from their old friends after a while once they get to secondary school and form new friendship groups so it's not really a disaster if they don't get to be in the same form. Lots of the girls will be the only one from their school going to WHSG so there will be plenty of them in the same boat. By this time next year your daughter will hopefully have lots of great new friends :-)
BTW my daughter is happy to answer any of your daughter's questions - feel free to PM me if she'd like to do this
All the best
Diane
Pixie

Post by Pixie »

Hi Di
thanks for this. DD is only one from her school going to WHSG, luckily we've been put in touch with someone else locally who will be going. DD is quite shy and only really seems to be worrying about not knowing anyone and would like to be in the same form as this other girl. I'm sure you're right and she will easily make new friends, she just needs reassurance at the moment that everything will be OK!
That's very kind of your daughter - will mention it to mine tonight and then I'm sure you can expect a PM over the weekend.
Thanks so much
Pixie x
:)
DiW

Post by DiW »

No problem. :)