Turning down an offer from Tiffin Girls?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sherwood

Turning down an offer from Tiffin Girls?

Post by Sherwood »

Is anyone thinking of turning down an offer at Tiffin Girls in favour of an indy? Because of the large number of applicants, and the much higher cut-off mark this year, I'm wondering if anyone will turn down a place. The competition seems so fierce!

Those of us languishing on the waiting list would love to know!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

From previous discussions here, very few infact I didnt see anyone turn down Tiffin, its actually the oppposite. I think more spaces have been created at indies were these kids had passed the entrance exams.

This forum is only a small minority though.

All the best of lucky for your DD
Impossible is Nothing.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Thanks, I feared that might be the case. She's no.3 on the list, so I have my fingers crossed!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

You are so close Sherwood and its so frustrating when you are that near. Did you try and find out how far down the waiting list they went last year from the school? Some school are a bit cagey about this but well worth a try if you havent done that already
Impossible is Nothing.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

You're right, it's so frustrating!

Last year they went down 13 places, the year before 19. But last year, and any of the past four years, she'd have got a place with points to spare. So...

I just get the feeling that this year is different because of the recession and fewer people might take the independent option, so I guess I'm looking for some straws to clutch at during the long wait! ;)

Thanks for the sympathy! Nothing to do but wait and see.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Sherwood wrote:I just get the feeling that this year is different because of the recession and fewer people might take the independent option, so I guess I'm looking for some straws to clutch at during the long wait! ;)

Thanks for the sympathy! Nothing to do but wait and see.
Sorry to butt in.I had the same fears this time last year re recession but my daughter was no 5 for the local superselective and still got in.
It's horrible waiting. :cry: Sooo hope it happens soon for you.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Oh thank you Chelmsford mum! That's encouraging. Out of interest, how soon did you hear? I've heard horror stories of it dragging on right over the summer. I don't think my daughter (let alone me!) could stand that much uncertainty!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Sherwood wrote:Oh thank you Chelmsford mum! That's encouraging. Out of interest, how soon did you hear? I've heard horror stories of it dragging on right over the summer. I don't think my daughter (let alone me!) could stand that much uncertainty!
Well for about 7 days no movement on the list and then suddenly three places and then about 10 days after came the letter. ( so i think it was about 3 weeks)The guy at the LEA admissions was confident for me all along, as he said all other years we would have a place. I wasn't confident at all but he was right.
So it does sound good for you and very, very likely.

Do keep us posted.
Heaps of best wishes to you. :D
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Thank you - three weeks would be great! I know nothing can happen until after March 15th, when the LEA gets all the acceptances/rejections. And then I think they have to send that info to the school, because it's a foundation school and manages its own admissions.

I might try phoning the school later next week, to see if they have any more info. Don't want to pester them, but at the same time...!

Thanks for the cheering thoughts! :)
Thea

Post by Thea »

Sherwood, something else that is different now (not trying to depress you further!) is that until recently (certainly in boys' schools, so presume also girls') there were quite big scholarship available - ie up to 100%, non- means tested. Now because of the public good requirements the boys' schools have cut back drastically on scholarships and instead put the money into means-tested bursaries. So in previous years parents may have chosen to send their bright kids indie because of the big scholarships on offer, even tho' not on incomes low enough to qualify for bursaries. So those middle income bright girls who mioght have turned down Tiffin for Indies might be now going for Tiffin as is free...?
Best Regards,
Thea