Vertical sums or number lines

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optimist

Vertical sums or number lines

Post by Optimist »

H

I spoke to my Year 2 son's teacher at parents evening yesterday, and the teacher gave some feedback. Any thoughts, please?

Teacher stated that DS1 struggles with 3 digit numbers, and went on to say if he did a sum such as 137-24, that he did not like the fact that DS1 works it out (correctly!) in a vertical sum format. The teacher prefers him to use a number line and count back.

Consequently, DS1 does not struggle with 3 digit numbers, but just chooses to use vertical sums; is there anything wrong with this method?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

schools don;t teach the vertical method until later, the numeracy strategy tries to get them to have a feel for numbers before teaching an algorithm.

trouble is it's difficult to ask a child to unlearn it. I know first hand as having been taught long division in one school I moved somewhere where they did short division first and I was told not to do long division, still can;t get the hang of short division
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

That wasn't chunking be any chance?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

ah chunking!

actually once you get used to it it does make sense.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

yoyo123 wrote:still can;t get the hang of short division
So what was it? :wink:

(I was looking for a tongue in cheek icon!)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_division

confuses me even now , 45 years later!
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Any maths teacher who is wedded to a specific methodology for teaching maths is quite simply in the wrong job!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Had the same problem with my boys, at that age.
As long as they are sure of their units, tens and hundreds place values you can teach them to use the vertical method, horizontally as well.
They can learn the school method and then use which ever is easier for them. With maths there can be a few ways to get to the same answer.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

We also had a similar problem. I had a quiet word with our son's teacher who very sensibly agreed to allow him to do the sums his way. As long as he got the right answer she was not concerned.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Thanks Bewildered and Fran 17. I do feel vindicated now, especially, as the the teacher agreed to accept my son doing vertical sums.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now