CRGS uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
First-timer

CRGS uniform

Post by First-timer »

Just wondering about the CRGS uniform. Obviously there is the purple blazer which I suspect has to be bought from a specific outfitters but what I really want to know about is the shirt and trousers. Can these be bought on the high street? Are the trousers black or dark grey? Also, is it one tie for the whole school or are there house/year differences?

I thought the information may come through with the offer of the place but all that I received was the transport information.

Not going to buy any of it yet, of course!

Thanks.
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB

Post by KB »

When you attend the evening fir new parents in the Summer you will get all the info.
The second hand uniform shop will also be open although it gets busy so if you call the school office for opening times you might be better off getting in first! The ladies that run the shop are all 'experienced' parents so wil tell you what you need to know.
If you go to Ernest Newsons in Colchester ( right down the Hight Street towards the Castle LHS) they have a full uniform kit & will sell you the blazer, rugby shirt, tie etc which need to come from there if you are buying new.
(We bought new & spare 2nd hand blazer & rugby shirt)
They all have the same tie - the blazer badge depends on which House (you will get a list of house & form at the parents evening).
If they join choir/play rugby etc they get a special tie but this comes later on.
If you want to get a track-suit I would try for 2nd hand because DS probably wont wear it!
Would get a spare tie as big troubleif they loose that (why we got a spare blazer _as well as being able to wash it in emergency!_ and rugby shirt.)
Be careful re PE shirt & shorts & rugby shorts - they are cotton (not like football shorts) if you want to get them other than Newsons.
White shirts can br bought anywhere as for trousers - can either be black or dark grey-plain style though.

Sorry this is rather long! Please ask if anything else you need to know.
Bit of an 'old hand' now with DC3 starting as DC1 left!
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks KB!

Good idea about the spare blazer and tie, too.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Everyone told us not to bother with the jumper as the boys don't wear them - so we didn't. In November when it turned cold ds wanted one and we had alot of trouble getting one, Ernest Newson and second hand shop were both out of stock. Having finally got hold of one he has worn it ever since! I am pleasantly surprised at how well it is wearing.

They also dont tell you that they dont need the shin pads till after xmas (football is the spring term sport for year 7) or the swim trunks til after easter.
KB

Post by KB »

It is possible that they do some football in PE in 1st term so probably worth getting shin pads if you dont already have them.
Def don't need swimming trunks though - & worth checking nearer the time as they use dto have to wear the small tight fitting ones! but I think there may have been soem relaxing of rules.

I'm pretty sure they don't have to wear the 'school' jumper anymore - just a plain one in the correct colour but again do double check.
Most boys wear an inconspicuous plain white t-shirt under the shirt if very cold, rather than a jumper.Minesatea must have a very sensible DS.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

We were told it had to be either the old or the new offical jumper - not a plain grey - son says most of his year 7 class wear them but perhaps they grow out of it!
We were told he could have the black shorts style trunks but as he has yet to wear them it may not be right!

I agree about the tracksuit - he has carted it to school for months and never worn it. I didn't realise it was optional. Fortunately it is huge but I will not replace it if he ever does grow out of it!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Sorry to highjack the thread -but can I ask you a question KB?

Now the weather is hopefully improving!!! can the boys wear short sleeved shirts?
KB

Post by KB »

Sorry only just saw this!
Think boys wear short sleeved shirts from now on but only a few actually wear them.
Unless Headmaster announces differently - if very hot - then blazers still have to be worn at all times (unless a teacher gives permission for them to be removed during a lesson)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Ok, I have some from last year which still fit so am keen to get some more wear out of them.

The blazers must get hot!
First-timer

Re: CRGS uniform

Post by First-timer »

More questions! I want to make use of a 3 for 2 offer and order as much as I can in advance.

The PE shorts are the cotton kind but what colour are they? Also, what sort of bags do the boys take to school? Do they have to be a particular colour/style? Is there a specific CRGS bag? Are overcoats/cagoules permitted? My DS will have a short walk and I don't want him getting drenched.

Thanks!
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now