Residential School Trips

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suey12

Residential School Trips

Post by Suey12 »

In your experience, do residential school trips tend to be compulsory?, or are there usually a number of students who do not go? What reasons do they give for not going?

I'm particularly interested in the first induction trip that most secondary schools seem to offer almost immediately Year 7 begins.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

I think everyone is expected to go.

If there are health, financial or whatever issues I would talk to the school early.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I think it depends on the trip, but like londonmum said above, I think that they are all expected to go to the first 'induction' trip as they see this as a 'bonding' trip.

But saying that, I know in my sons GS there are always one or two that don't go to this trip.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I would say that that first induction trip, in particular, is absolutely vital. It is a great opportunity to get to know the other kids in an out-of-school setting.
The trip should not be too expensive - it is usally a day trip or sometimes an overnight and should not cost more than £30 or so if an overnight, half or less if a day trip.
The other trips are also important, however - although they can be expensive depending on the school. Do talk to the school if money is likely to be an issue.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

As this is under the indepenedent school section I suspect the trips may be a bit more expensive - certainly one school I know the parents were chuntering before term started about the extra cheque for the early residential trip.....

Shame because they don't need to be expensive and are usually much enjoyed
KB

Post by KB »

The one compulsory residential trip at our Indie was factored into the fees, which was very helpful.
They also sent extra staff for children who had special educational or emotional needs.
Other educational trips were no more expenisve (or frequent) than at the local GS.
There were some expensive 'holiday trips' but these were certainly not undertaken by the majority.

I would strongly advise against missing the 'induction' trip if at all possible. Talk to the school early on if you have concerns and I am sure they will want to help. Relationships between children are strengthened on these trips & its also an opportunity for staff-pupil relationships to develop outside a classroom situation and lots of children grow in confidence independence.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Why are you hesitant, Suey?
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Hi Amber,

The reason I asked is because my DS has never stayed a night away from home, without my DH and me. (He's fine with us, on lots of holidays, and short breaks etc.)

Shortly before he was born we relocated 250 miles away from family and friends, and therefore he's never had grandparents around the corner to go and stay with at an early age, unlike many of his friends.

I know he'll get used to it in time, but it's just something that he really doesn't want to do (yes, I know as a mum I have to make him do stuff that he doesn't want to do, but it's not easy).

He knows these trips take place, and I'm trying to make it all sound really good fun, and make him see all the positives about it. I've also told him that whatever school he goes to, he will have to do the induction trip.

I was hesitant about saying the reason on this forum, because I'm sure there are very few DCs who reach the age of 11 and don't want to stay away from home. I guess they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.
dramaqueen

Post by dramaqueen »

My DD didn't go on the induction residential in Year 7. She wasn't ready to be away from us, is an incredibly faddy eater and had never survived a sleepover at a friend's house at that point. There were a handful of other children who didn't go, for one reason or another.

We did what we could to encourage her to give it a go, but there was no moving her. It didn't seem to cause problems with her making friends and settling in to the class, fortunately. However, she definitely regretted not going and was quite miserable while the others were away.

Times change though. She is off on a week-long trip abroad with the school this summer, at the end of year 8. She will starve as she still won't eat the food, but is so much more confident 18 months on.
zorro

Post by zorro »

The induction trip is really important, most of my DS's friendships were formed on this trip. I think the bonding not just with your peers, but also with the teachers is immeasurable. I know it can be hard,I have a DD with autism and even she has managed a week residential trip in Y6 and a week's sailing trip living on a boat for a week last year in Y10. So I think if children with such severe problems can manage it then a 'normal' child should try their hardest to do it too.
I bet if your child does go Suey they will have a great time and if it's not too far away ,you can always go and collect him if it all gets too much.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now