independent re-test for 11+

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

RS

independent re-test for 11+ & "Evidence" reque

Post by RS »

Apart from getting a support letter from the Headmaster to show academic result / ability, is it possible to sit for a re-test to show ability? If yes, please provide more information.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I haven;t heard of retests, which are are you in?

In the meantime check the Questions and Answers bit (click on link at top of the appeals section) there is a lot of advice on appeals there.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

No, a re-test is not possible.

Some parents get an educational psychologist's report to provide alternative evidence of academic ability.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#b3
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

Many thanks for your replies.
RS

Post by RS »

I have now arranged to have an EP report since I don't think the Headmaster of my son's Prep School will be that helpful (he doesn't like boys leaving at 11+ and not staying until 13+).

I was also advised to get an independent test at "*** Educational Centre" in Reading. The centre is also used by the Council to evaluate ability of children.. It is worth having a go. The more evidence the better.
RS

Post by RS »

My son did "mess" up the English paper with the ink (he used a fountain pen on the day) smudged all over, and over the page. He got quite upset and panic and he wasted a lot of time composing himself.
Not sure whether I need the answer paper as part of my evidence for the hearing? A photocopy won't show the extend of the ink being absorbed by the paper! Is it possible to request the actual answer paper as part of my evidence? A photocopy won't show the "mess" that he made.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The onus is on parents to provide evidence in support of their case.

Test papers are exempt from the Data Protection Act, so the admission authority is under no obligation to produce them. You could try asking if they would exercise their discretion and allow you to see them - this is best done well before the hearing, but the odds are probably against their agreeing .......

Kent LA, I understand, do allow parents to have sight of the papers by appointment, but not to make copies. Does anyone know of any other local authority that does this?

(If it's just a foundation school, they may or may not have a policy, depending on whether such a request has been made before.)
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

The admission officer at the GS was very helpful and she had agreed for me to have a look at the test paper - answer paper only (not the question paper).
After seeing the paper and knowing how distress my son would be at that time, we decided to appeal against the admission decision as the "extenuating circumstances" and hopefully the appeal panel would see our point of view.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I suggest you send a politely worded message to the admission officer to say that the answer paper will be an important part of your case. This needs to be in writing (a letter or email).

Say how much you appreciate the fact that you were allowed to see the paper, and request that it be made available at the hearing to the panel - as this might possibly avoid the need for an adjournment.

Hopefully they will comply - but just in case they don't, take a copy of your message to the hearing as evidence of your request.
Etienne
RS

Post by RS »

Is it possible for the school (or its representative) to attend the appeal hearing? Are they allowed to talk/defence their case at the meeting as well?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now