Pass mark for Loreto - confused!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Charlie79

Pass mark for Loreto - confused!!!

Post by Charlie79 »

When I called Loreto they told me the exams were marked out of 140. Children take 4 exams, Verbal REasoning & Progress in English both set by NFER and closed school exams in Mathematics and Creative Writing.

Iknow the pass mark is 320 but this would mean the percentage pass mark would be 57% 320/560. This seems to me to be a low percentage pass.

Can anyone clarify, please :cry:
Gman

Post by Gman »

It is not a straight % as they standardise the scores for age. So a September born child to achive the same mark needs to get more correct answers than an August the following year born child.
Charlie79

Post by Charlie79 »

Would you know if a September child would have to get considerably more than an August child? Do you know what the formula is for calculating this? Although I suspect this is not as straight forward as it sounds.
TIDDLYMUM

Standardisation

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Tao

Post by Tao »

Hi Everyone
I believe that the Loreto passmark of 320 takes into account just 3 of those tests, with the creative writing taken into account merely for those children that are borderline. This means that your 320 passmark is out of 420 (around 76%), although this is age standardised as mentioned above so it will vary a little with age in year.

Hope this helps. This is my first post on this excellent forum, it's nice to know there are so many well informed people out there going through the same ups and downs!
Pumpkin Pie

Re: Pass mark for Loreto - confused!!!

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I know someone who got 440 this year. How could that be? (The pass Mark was 320). :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

thread is 3 years old - have they changed the scoring?
DidsburyMum

Post by DidsburyMum »

Yes, the pass mark is considerably lower this year than in recent years, so I can only assume that fewer girls passed. I have also heard on the grapevine that quite a few "in area" girls failed this year, this may explain the lowering of the pass mark, but I have no evidence of this. I believe the pass mark has been at about 360 in previous years.
madsdad

Post by madsdad »

I was told that the creative writing is marked but does not carry as many marks as the other papers.