remarking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kayW

remarking

Post by kayW »

My DD missed out by 10 points I am told by CSSE. But she is below 303 so cant go on the waiting list.

During the VR the invigilator came over to her 10 minutes before the end of the exam and told her she might not have coloured her squares dark enough for the computer to mark. She then spent the next few minutes making her marks darker. She ran out of time and didnt finish the paper. VR is by far her strongest subject and she always scored very highly in mocks.

She scored low for the VR 41/80, does anyone know if she could make up enough marks to get those 10 points? Should I get her paper remarked? Obviously I wouldnt tell her as she coped quite well and is reasonably happy with her allocation.

Also does having papers remarked automatically mean an appeal and do they remark them all or just the one I request (as I think she will need all the help she can get as 10 points is alot isnt it?)
kayW

Post by kayW »

:?:
Is there anyone that can advise me?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi there kayW.

What an awful situation to be in. I'm not really able to offer advice but this situation does seem like it needs further investigation due to the time that was wasted marking the paper twice.

You may not get much of a response today, simply because it has been Mother's Day and the forum is always less busy on a Sunday.

Take care.
kayW

Post by kayW »

Thanks Ed's Mum, you're right of course, I just felt a little lonely on this one.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

From my experience in Kent you can ask to view the papers which are then manually re-marked. Is that something you could do, i.e. ask to see the papers and ask them to be manually marked? What you have described does warrant more investigation. Good luck.

P.S. Are invigilators allowed to talk to candidates during the exam? I hope that the invigilator who came upto your DC recorded the excange because if he/she did that would go in your favour. I would assume that even if your DC hadn't gone over the previous answers her concentration would have been affected.
moved

Post by moved »

I know of two children who have had papers remarked. Both at the appeal stage. WHSB claimed they were surprised by the idea. There are occasional errors, sometimes papers and results are swapped. A child currently in yr9 was given the mark of another child; the error was rectified in few days. I do not think there is any harm in asking. The remark is done by the school that is involved in your appeal case. Last year the parents did not see the papers themselves. Good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There is no legal right to see the 11+ answer papers, although the admission authority could allow this at its discretion.

I know that, in my own LA, they will remark the 11+ paper for a fee of £25. If the parent then goes to appeal, a copy of the outcome is, I understand, routinely included with the appeal papers. It's rare for mistakes to be found.
Also does having papers remarked automatically mean an appeal
I don't see why it should.

I think you need to talk to the CSSE, or the school you're interested in, to get their advice.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now