Using distance argument in an appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frustrated

Using distance argument in an appeal

Post by frustrated »

Hi, would anyone know.......

Regarding distance for Grammar school/s that we want for our son. Our son was one of the children who passed his Kent Test and was offered a local non-selective school, although we asked for Grammar schools.

Now, I know that appeals can often be made on the basis that the school that has been offered is at a disadvantage due to distance, but could I argue that the Grammar school/s that we want him to go to are very quick and easy to get to in regards to excellent transport links?

The journey time to get to both Grammar schools would be the same as the journey time to the non-selective school he has been offered.

We live in a 'scheme of education that serves Grammar schools', but there are no Grammar schools locally, meaning that public transport is necessary for ANY Grammar school that he goes to, and in fact any other non-selective school too, apart from our local one.
goingloopy

Post by goingloopy »

Hi can i ask if you actually live in Kent ?

I know a couple of people that did not live in kent but still took the 11+ and passed with flying colours however they were both denied a grammer school place in favour of their local comps.

Following discussions with the current Headteacher one of them was told that if the chosen grammer school is oversubscribed then they will always take local children over OOC.
SSM

Post by SSM »

The above is not necessarily true.

If a school is over subscribed then they take pupils according to the 'Oversubscription Criteria' which is listed in the Admissions booklet, some schools take distance and OoC into consideration but some (which are referred to as super selectives) take on scores.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Hi

We live in the Whitstable/Swalecliffe area, missed out by less than a mile when oversubscription criteria was applied. Taking into account logistics, the Grammar schools take the same amount of time to get to as the local non-selective offered, so wondered if we could make this point, considering that he passed his test.

Distance arguments are usually against the school offered, but we won't be able to use that in our argument, because the lcoal non-selective is within walking distance.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I'm a bit confused as you first said
The journey time to get to both Grammar schools would be the same as the journey time to the non-selective school he has been offered.
but then you said
because the lcoal non-selective is within walking distance
So do you mean that it would take as long to get to the GS by public transport as it would to walk to the non-selective.

I don't know anything about appeals, but from what I have read on this website, you are appealing for a certain school and not against the school you have been offered.

I feel that the travelling argument would no way sway a panel, but it can be mentioned that travelling to GS would not be any more difficult than travelling to the non-selective.

Have you tried posting on the Appeals section as they do have more experience, even if it's not for Kent.

Good luck.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Yes, the journey time is exactly the same. It takes the same amount of time to get to both Grammar schools by public transport as it takes to get to the non-selective walking.

There are also many other reasons why we wanted the particular Grammar schools, but I wondered if it would be worth making the point that he could get there very easily, in fact quicker than some other children in the area who already attend the schools, as we are very close to bus stops and the train station.

We are going to be giving reasons why the non-selective isn't suitable too.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Excuse my silliness, but can anyone tell me how to move my post to the appeals section? :oops:
SSM

Post by SSM »

I don't think you can, a moderator needs to do it.
but I wondered if it would be worth making the point that he could get there very easily
I presume there is no harm mentioning it
in fact quicker than some other children in the area who already attend the schools
There is no point mentioning this, as it's not a case of why you should get a place over other children but why your case for your child being at that school is greater than the disruption it would cause for the school to admit your child.

I don't think I have worded that very well.
WP

Post by WP »

frustrated wrote:Excuse my silliness, but can anyone tell me how to move my post to the appeals section? :oops:
It's probably best to start a new thread there. (But be sure to check the stuff at the top of the Appeals section first.)
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Yes, I agree, SSM, not a good idea to mention that last bit in the actual appeal letter! :lol:

Will definitely mention the logistics though I think, amongst many other things.