Personal opinions allowed???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Frustratedmum

Personal opinions allowed???

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi all, DS has passed Kent test now (just quick recap, we've just moved to Kent from Milton Keynes & had to take Kent test).
I've been reading this site avidly for the past few weeks & am starting a new worry now. We put Borden down on our CAF as it's our closest Grammar with what seemed to be a fair school in terms of results & ofsted report etc. But what's really worrying me is that 1. It's not yet full 2. There was 1 line on ofsted report that mentioned bullying occurring in the school & 3. I cannot seem to find a single thread where anyone on here has mentioned wanting the school or attending the school
What I wanted to know is, is it proper to ask everyone's personal opinion on the school or is that not the done thing? I'm really worried now that we've made a mistake. We're visiting the school tomorrow but I don't think that you can always guage a full opinion in just one visit.
I'm also putting us on the waiting list for QE in Faversham & DS is going to sit the Medway test next week for RGS. But not knowing anything at all about schools in the area, I'm now really worried again :?
Many thanks in advance for some help
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Frustrated Mom

I really dont know much about the school but I have a friend in Sittingbourne and her sons attend Maidstone Grammars. I really dont know why and your posts made me think about them. I hope I am not making it worse for you.

Could it simply not be the area where there Borden is that a few sit the 11+ more like what happens in Medway? My understanding is Chatham boys in undersubscribed and this seem the case most years. I really think this is mainly to the location of the school and the few who score highly opting for more selective schools.

My guess is this maybe the case with Borden.

Update

I have just read the ofstead report and the feeling I got is they dont stretch the students BUT the bullying part worried me greatly too and if it was my DC I wouldnt send them there. The problem is even though they have made progress, the problem still exist and there has been exclusions which shows it must have been something serious. If you have other choices then I would say its really worth persuing them but thats just me. Bullying is just one thing I cant bear and the slightest hind that my DC could be subjected to it would just put me off the school completely no matter how well they do academically. It maybe because I am so paranoid about it and different people have different barometer levels of what they call acceptable

At least you do have some other options there Frustrated Mom that you can persue.
Impossible is Nothing.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

See you feel precisely the way I do regarding bullying, DS is certainly not that type & to subject him to any kind of bullying is far from ideal expectations.
I will be persuing other avenues as well so I'll just keep fingers crossed.
I don't know much about the waiting lists really, I know the criteria for them obviously but in terms of how much they really move is something I guess that many don't know, but it must be worth trying. I am aware that score comes into account highly with RGS so perhaps we'll try that angle as DS managed a high score on Kent test with only 2 days revision so here's hoping!!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Whats RGS?

I thought it was Rochester Grammar School and they only take girls and just takes boys in sixth form?

Also I have seen others on the forum appeal for a place as well as put it down for waiting list but its really not something I know much about. Maybe appeals forum may help?
Impossible is Nothing.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Sorry sherry_d that's just me being thick again :oops: I keep putting that when what I mean is RMGS, many apologies for the confusion. :roll:
Yeah, I've been avidly trawling the appeals threads as well as waiting list info & getting some great advice. Now all I'm not sure about is local opinions/reputations of the grammar schools. It's quite obvious from a lot of threads that Judd & Skinners are highly thought of but unfortunately, in my opinion, these are just too far from us, for practicality, for many reasons.
katel

Post by katel »

I have friends with 2 boys at Borden and they are very pleased with it - if that helps at all. It's very sporty, I think, if that's the sort of thing your boy likes. I understand that QE is over subscribed this year so I suspect that you haven't got a huge amount of hope - sorry. Have you looked at Fulston Manor? We were very impressed a couple of years ago.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi katel, thanks yeah all opinions do help. Son is definitely sporty so that's a good start. I was under the impression that QE has a fair waiting list but just going to join it as it can't do any harm. If only because DS does like his girls :lol: !!
SSM

Post by SSM »

Sorry, I can't be of much help as I don't know the school or any of the schools in your part of Kent.
However, like Katel says, unfortunately it doesn't look like you have much choice as all the other schools are over subscribed so you would not automatically get a place.

However, I would say that at least the school seem to be dealing with the bullying problem so that is a good sign.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

I looked at Borden reports before the summer holidays last year, and there seems to have been a problem with bullying in the past. The OFSTED says that there is still a small problem, but it is being dealt with. As far as I know, the problems were generally amongst year 7 boys, a bit of animosity going on, but as there was no mention of it in later year groups, then I would guess that demonstrates that they deal with it effectively, but it did put me off.

You could always ask them about it when you visit, but I think that it is a case of the school having a reputation that just isn't valid anymore. Go and visit anyway, and see for yourself, I think you will have a much more accurate picture afterwards, and would be able to draw your own conclusions.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi frustrated, thanks, yes you're absolutely right, I will have to make my own mind up when I see the school, it's actually a very little reassuring that at least so far no-one is saying 'NO don't do it :lol: '. Hmmm what an absolute joy all this is :roll: