One to one or Group tutoring

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nada

One to one or Group tutoring

Post by nada »

Hello everyone,
My DD started group tutoring in January for Tiffins 2011 and so far she is happy and working hard. We chose group tutoring because we thought it would suit her better as she is competitive by nature but after last lesson she said that she would rather have one to one tutor as "lots of time was wasted" on things that she understood but some others kids didn't while she would rather stay longer on some questions that she didn't understand properly.

Would be interested to know what you think about it. Also, if we decide to go for one to one tutor would it be possible to find any tutor now?
Thanks for all your reply.
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello nada,

What type of group-tutoring is it your dd attends?

My ds attended group that had an almost fixed and rigid 'curriculum',with about 10 children and although it was useful for ds to meet with peers,i had to supplement his tutoring.

We tried a small group tutor but ds was not comfortable with that particular teacher.

We started our 11plus journey this time last year and tutors were available (from agencies and private individuals) so donot worry, although i suppose there are people who will say the 'best' ones are booked well in advance!

I do believe though that the child has to click with a tutor and that can make all the difference!

Good luck with whatever you decide.Maybe you could help dd at home?
nada

Post by nada »

Thanks Shaftsbury1 for your reply.

My dd is in a group of other 9 children and in addition to all "group tutoring issues", I don't think dd is very keen on her tutor, so it looks like we will have to change it. I want to give it a go for another two weeks probably until Easter.

My ds is trying very hard to like her tutor and is trying to get used to the tutor's shouting but there are many other details that put her off (like the last time tutor was eating her sandwich while teaching them!). Probably shouting works with some children but with my dd doesn't.

Shaftsbury1, and anybody else can you please send me a message if you can recommend any tutor or agency. It would be appreciated very much, I did start panicking, have to admit.
nada

Post by nada »

Forgot to mention we live in Surbiton. Thanks.
Plum

Post by Plum »

A tutor shouldn't be shouting at the DCs. Tutoring is about giving them focus and a little extra push and should be more fun - afterall, they are having to do it after they've been at school for 6 hours. Definitely think you need to find a new one, unfortunately, I can't help you there (too far away) but hopefully someone will come along soon....

Good luck
Plum
nada

Post by nada »

I do agree Plum and thought this shouting will stop but unfortunately it hasn't so will have to do something especially that my DD is so keen on learning - don't want her to loose an interest.
Hope there are still good tutors out there.
Tolworth Mum

Tutors

Post by Tolworth Mum »

Hi Nada, I have PM some info to you. My son started with this tutor 2 weeks ago and has been enjoying. I hope it stays that way.
Best Wishes
TM
nada

Post by nada »

Thanks for all your replies. This forum is fantastic!
Louise2

Re: Tutors

Post by Louise2 »

Tolworth Mum wrote:Hi Nada, I have PM some info to you. My son started with this tutor 2 weeks ago and has been enjoying. I hope it stays that way.
Best Wishes
TM
Could you pm the details to me if possible, completely understand if you don't want to. Its for a friend of mine her son started with a tutor in Kingston in January, but unfortunately the tutor has cut back on the workload due to illness. My friend's son has been moved to a tutor who my friend is really not happy with. She turned down places with tutors to go with this tutor but it hasn't worked out. The choice for boys seems so limited when it comes to schools in our area. We are surrey/kingston border. Went down this road myself four years ago, don't know if I could cope again.
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

I've PM'd you Louise2 and Nada