Multiple choice answer sheets - Bucks

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MrsChubbs

Multiple choice answer sheets - Bucks

Post by MrsChubbs »

Hi all (and especially Patricia)
Am I right in thinking I should get my DD to use the answer sheets when doing the IPS short tests? They seem to help her do them a lot quick and find answers (like the three letter word to insert) when she doesn't seem them immediately. Or should I make her do them without the answer sheet to start with to make sure she is methodical?
Thanks in advance.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Absolutely use the answer sheets

A: Gives you 5 letters instead of going through the alphabet.

B: Technically you can use the answer sheet to work from, but I do not allow this method because I like the children to cross off the three related and say to themselves the reason, in order to convince themselves that they are correct [authors set many traps in these questions]

C: Once the method and technique thoroughly learnt, only look for the first and last letters [or the first 3] and then check the answer sheet. If not enough information decide which letter you need to be checking eg HORSES or HOUSES on the answer sheet. Find first and last would be H and S. No point in looking at second letter as both produce O therefore look for the third letter as that will nail the answer.

D: Answer directly from the answer sheet, saves time.

E: As above

F: If the sentence is not a clue, look at the words given and try to fit them in.

H: Work directly from the answer sheet.

N: Once the method and technique thoroughly learnt. When looking for the word, find the first and last letters only [do not do this for the numbers as they can be soooo confusing with numbers sooo similar.]

O and R: Once the method and technique thoroughly learnt. Find first and last letters only, check answer sheet.

Q: Work directly from answer sheet.

S: You HAVE to work from the anser sheet.

I do not approve of looking for the first letter on the types L and U as if an error has been made on that first letter [and it does happen] then a precious mark has been lost. Always find BOTH letters for thes two types.

Patricia
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Thanks Patricia
You have just reinforced my decision to definitely DIY! :roll:
No doubt we will speak again over the next few months.
Mrs Chubbs
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now