scholarship advice Kings

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
observer

scholarship advice Kings

Post by observer »

Hello :)
I am completely green when it comes to independent schools, so please forgive me in advance for any thing daft I may ask!
Our DD is very academic, in year 7 of grammar, on gifted and talented for very high cat scores etc (mean score of 134.- 141 non-verbal, 141 quantitive, plus she got 140 across the board in the 11+)

I was just looking at Kings Canterbury scholarship info online and noticed that the exams cover numerous subjects such as MFL, RE, History, Science etc. Just wondering what chance DD would have, coming from a state school background, of winning a scholarship at 13+...for example I'm not even aware of what level children need to be at in a MFL to get in to Indies?

(BTW we are thinking about Kings as it is DD's ambition to study medicine at Trinity College, Cambridge - I know it seems a bit young to be so sure but I have to give her the benefit of the doubt...she seems to know what she wants- and I am concerned that the GS she is at will not give her the best chance academically...they are proposing to cut teaching time by half a day per week and are changing the GCSE options to double science without the option of triple science, from next year...which worries me)
On a pastoral level, we are on a very low income- especially, presumably, compared to other families at Kings, do you think this would put DD in an uncomfortable situation socially?
Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

You need to speak to King's directly about admissions from state school candidates. They will expect a very high NV, NVR, Maths and English score if they are to discount the MFL, Latin tests. I wouldn't restrict your options to King's though and look into other good independent schools too.

I find it very disappointing that some GS are opting for dual award science. It is completely nuts imo! :roll:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Have you been to the school Observer?

We went last saturday as they had open day and regarding bursaries, they do have quite a few even though I didnt persue that line much but like you we will only afford if we get a bursary. My DD will be at the junior school but we decided since she will spend 5years at the senior school so well worth seeing it too.

Regarding how your child will feel, there will be a mixture of kids and the boys (who showed us around) are worked VERY hard and there is less time to show off money. The boy in boarding said he gets about £60 a month pocket money but there are kids who get £200 or more but it really didnt bother him.

I had my sister with me and she was a bit behind us since she was looking after my baby and she overhead a conversation between one of the students and prospective parents who were behind us.

Parents ask - So how far do you live from the school and how long does it take you to get in?
Kings Student - oh I flew in this morning
Parents - oh really where from
Kings Student - Surrey

So yes there will be those who are loaded but most of the time they are very busy with work and extra activities so I wouldnt be worried about that as long as your DD can cope with the school pace. What I felt from what the kids told me is that they are worked hard and as long as your DD copes I am sure they will have a great time

My other concern I had was the school is that it is quite spread out and the kids are in town going from one activity to the other. However the kids say they know the boundaries and they hardly have time for that anyway

I notice you are in Kent too, were you thinking of day or boarding? Bear in mind that since its predominatly boarding the day pupils have a VERY long day. The day boy told us I think Monday, Wed and Thurdsay he is there till about 6pm and then other days till 4:30pm. The school consider extra activities as part of the curriculum and so they have to do it.

Its really worth seeing the school, I am not sure what exactly it was but I didnt quite feel the school. We loved the music department, really a cut above and my DD loves to sing so this definately attracted us. I am still trying to really think what I make of the school, havent discounted it yet but something didnt hit a raw nerve.
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wouldn't discount a GS for getting into Cambridge to read medicine.
Reader

Post by Reader »

Don't forget to look at major boarding schools right across the country, esp. south-east in your case, where very generous scholarships can be available at 13+ and no doubt can be 'tweaked' to almost 100% for a high flyer. Lots of these schools have a reasonable percentage of children on bursaries or scholarships and don't restrict your search to 'academic' schools because many are carefully streamed and attract excellent teachers so at first glance they may not be very high in a table but may have 15% extremely bright pupils lured by the scholarships and facilities.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Also something else that you can do so see what Oxbridge requires for medicine is to visit thestudentroom forum and see what they look at in candidates to be above the rest and you can start working on it now or whenever in the grammar school she is in.

From skimming through that forum I think Medicine is one of the few occupations where oxbridge isnt a must to be succesful unlike other professions like city jobs. Its worth a read and also helps you on the subjects your DD needs to take and do well in. I think Chemistry was one where you need to be strong in and I was suprised that you didnt even need biology

So while you are looking at the indies also worth while looking at how best to prepare her if she stays in grammar and get as much information.
Impossible is Nothing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

They will expect a very high NV, NVR, Maths and English score if they are to discount the MFL, Latin tests.
Sounds like she has very high scores! They would have to discount tests in subjects she hasn't studied, surely! There should be no disadvantage to a state school pupil applying for a bursary - whatever are they for, otherwise? Don't feel inferior - your DD is as good as anyone else's. State school children should aim just as high as independent school ones.

Cambridge for medicine is probably the hardest thing she could aim for though (except vet science?) - I have heard of the first offers of 3 A*s now - and unlike most other universities, Cambridge does have the reputation of not really being interested in all your 'extra' skills - just a deep love of, and competence in, your subjects.

Good luck - go for it - you have nothing to lose!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Amber wrote:
They would have to discount tests in subjects she hasn't studied, surely! There should be no disadvantage to a state school pupil applying for a bursary - whatever are they for, otherwise?
Kings certainly have a separate entrance procedure if you are coming form the state school. here is a quote from their website
Overseas pupils and those not from Prep Schools
About 15% of the pupils come from schools which do not prepare them for the Common Entrance Examination. For these pupils the entry procedure is exactly the same, except that they will do their entrance examination in January of the year of entry.
Impossible is Nothing.
Amber

Post by Amber »

sherry_d wrote:
Amber wrote:
They would have to discount tests in subjects she hasn't studied, surely! There should be no disadvantage to a state school pupil applying for a bursary - whatever are they for, otherwise?
Kings certainly have a separate entrance procedure if you are coming form the state school. here is a quote from their website
Overseas pupils and those not from Prep Schools
About 15% of the pupils come from schools which do not prepare them for the Common Entrance Examination. For these pupils the entry procedure is exactly the same, except that they will do their entrance examination in January of the year of entry.
Wow! Big concessions then!
observer

Post by observer »

Thanks for all your replies,
Herman, I never doubted GS before they sprung the 'shorter teaching hours plus only double science' surprise on us!
Sherry-d., DD has looked in to what she needs ie Chemistry for medicine and has her heart set on Cambridge...a long story but she likes the idea that you stay in halls for the whole time etc amongst other things...
I haven't been to the school yet, just know of its reputation academically and live close to canterbury so it is convenient in that sense (DH won't consider boarding for DD...)
Reader...thanks for your advice...will look at other local indies (as I explained above, DH won't consider sending her off to board)
Amber, thank you for your reassurance. I do feel that she should be 'allowed' to have as good a chance as any as she has the ability..it is so frustrating that we are skint!
Sherry-d- I noticed that too, that they have separate CE tests for state school pupils, but it doesn't mention it in the Kings Scholarship tests section
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now