What else will I need?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T12ACY

What else will I need?

Post by T12ACY »

Will try and keep this short....

DS missed out on a pass by 5 points, was expected to pass but due to very extenuating circumstances his second day of testing was a complete washout. The HT appeal was declined but she didn't pass this information on, only provided what are admitedly very messy books. (he is left handed and struggles with joined up writing!)
GS has supposedly offered to all those who were eligable and are now full, although they told me when I called that they will take any boy who passes the appeal.
So we are at the stage of preparing appeal, eldest 2 attend the (very) local GS which is where DS had hoped to go. CAT scores in Y5 were overall 346 for the 3 tests and practice SAT's in the past couple of weeks were 4a for English and 5a for Maths, targeted to achieve level 5's across the board. Level 3's at KS1 were attained. I have written appeal statement and got HT appeal but know I need to tailor the appeal to the school, which is proving easier than it sounds!!! Any tips or hints? I am a nervous wreck.... :twisted:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

hi - well a good start is to read the Q&A 's you can get to it above the appeals section of the forum. It really gets you thinking about what to include in your appeal. Another thing I found useful was the "sticky" post that includes feedback from others who have finsihed their appeals! good luck! :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

they told me when I called that they will take any boy who passes the appeal.
They have no choice! :)
CAT scores in Y5 were overall 346 for the 3 tests
What were the individual scores and percentiles?
I have written appeal statement and got HT appeal but know I need to tailor the appeal to the school, which is proving easier than it sounds!!!
See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11plus ... ers.php#c2
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

The individual scores were:

CAT 3 - V 109 / NV 121 / M 116 (April 09)

KT - V 126 / NV 116 / M 113 (Sept 09) Not all the questions on the NV paper were answered as he was unfamiliar with 6 minutes for each section, we had done some very limited practicing but only sitting for set time overall meaning he could go back once all the easier ones had been done. The Test Day method threw him and he panicked a bit!

I don't know, or really understand the percentiles bit.

The second day of testing, which was Maths and the English written piece (which only gets looked at on HT appeal), DS friend came in with some shocking news that I won't put on here because of confidentiality. Anyway it very much upset my own child who received counselling on the day of the test, but after he had sat it.....

I really need some hints on gearing up an appeal to a specific school as I think I have pretty much got some good evidence with the HT statement and entrance test for the school he was offered a place at. He met their criteria of being in the top 20% and being placed in their Grammar Stream but the school is over 10 miles away as opposed to less than 4. Actual test results should be delivered today so can post these later if needed.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

tiredmum wrote:hi - well a good start is to read the Q&A 's you can get to it above the appeals section of the forum. It really gets you thinking about what to include in your appeal. Another thing I found useful was the "sticky" post that includes feedback from others who have finsihed their appeals! good luck! :)
Thanks, yes I have used some of these in my preperation. Have written bullet points for the actual form and also written a formal statement to explain in more detail, in particular the extenuating circumstances not previously submitted.

The Q&A's are really helpful but am hoping to draw on some personal experience from our area too :wink:
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Hi T12ACY

I am in a very similar position to you. My son was expected to pass, didn't get through on headteachers appeal because his work was untidy!!!

What area of Kent are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I, too, am finding it hard to put my appeal together I am concerned that I will leave something out or waffle on too much - I am completely useless at this kind of thing.

I would love to speak to someone who has been through the process for the school I am appealing too but I don't know of anyone.

There is lots of help on here so keep us up to date with your progress and good luck.
observer

Post by observer »

Hello T12 ACY
I'm no expert on non-qualification appeals, but I would think that getting as much back up evidence of the shocking news your DS received before the test and how that would have affected his performance would be key to this appeal. Surely a letter of confirmation from the head teacher or who ever he received counselling from confirming all of this would be key? I am amazed that the HT did not think to bring this up at the HT appeal. Surely it is exactly situations like this that need to be taken into account?
Best of luck with the appeal,
Observer
observer

Post by observer »

PS I wouldn't mention the fact that he was thrown by the 6 minute timings of the test...I understand where you are coming from but I don't think it will help in an appeal.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi Twinkles,

We are in Mid Kent and looking at NKS. DS is not a genius, but I am left trying to prove his ability over and beyond original expected level in order to convince the panel when a couple of Maths questions answered to his ability when distracted would have negated all of this! How about you, where and what are you looking to achieve?

'Observer' I do not intend to mention the NVR reason at stage of appeal but will be prepared for questions on his marks at the hearing. When asked do you not think this is a valid point, rather than just saying he ran out of time or simply didn't answer in case it was wrong? 121 scored in April 09 during CAT testing would indicate enough of an ability if all questions were answered would it not??

Thanks by the way for everyones comments. The information and pointers is stopping me from going mad!!
observer

Post by observer »

I just think that when it comes down to unfamiliarity with the way the test was set out, you are up against the fact that most of the other children taking the test would have been in the same boat, at least that is what I reckon the appeal panel will think.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now