biology challenge

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tree

biology challenge

Post by Tree »

My DD is doing a national biology challenge next week junior level year 9 has anyone had any experience of this apparently you are tested on curriculum + current affairs and it's completed online any idea of format ie multiple choice etc and what kind of current affairs would be helpful she and i are worried she is gonna look like a duffer an alarm will go off and she'll be instantly put in bottom set science for next year
KB

Post by KB »

http://www.biology-olympiad.org.uk/biol ... and-rules/

doesn't give a great deal away!

am sure it must be multiple choice though - they couldn't mark them otherwise

hopefully someone with experience be along in a 'tick'
Tree

Post by Tree »

thanks KB the website doesn't really say much but you are right is is probably mcq if it's online
Tree

Post by Tree »

ok for anyone that is interested or for future searches she did the challenge yesterday but hasn't got the result yet it was done online but wasn't a mutiple choice she had to write answers she said it was mainly on her ks3 coursework however it was a bit harder than she was expecting so i suspect it was a challenging ks3 test she was shown for example some molecules with carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms and asked same questions she found this hard ("bl**dy chemistry not biology" was what she said) and they asked her what animal was in the wwf motto which she didn't know ( :roll: ) but otherwise things like what is the process called that makes o2 and glucose from water and co2 and what is the reverse called, what is DNA etc
Milla

Post by Milla »

Tree wrote: they asked her what animal was in the wwf motto which she didn't know ( :roll: )
oh dear, that's the only thing from that ghastly list which i did know :cry: !
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Tree

Post by Tree »

actually i think it was multiple choice of sorts you had to choose an answer from a list of options and paste it in and there were some a b c etc type answers and Milla shame on you!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sometimes, especially as I get older, my whole life feels like a biology challenge.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:lol:
Tree

Re: biology challenge

Post by Tree »

if anyone is interested dd finally got result she got a bronze award which seem a bit rubbish to me but my dd said her teacher said was v good so i don't know really daughter protests that there are lots of kids who get no award at all so i'm not sure what to make of it, it was good to get chosen i suppose
KB

Re: biology challenge

Post by KB »

Don't know about this level but for the one taken by 6th formers a bronze award is a pretty good result!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now