KS3 maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

KS3 maths

Post by Milla »

My Y8 boy struggles with his maths, mainly by over-complicating things and getting impatient / losing confidence. I was looking in big book shop (liquid pebbles) and they had the practice books to go with the system they follow at school (Colins New Maths Framework). This seemed to me to be the ones to go for since it would reinforce the teaching methods already taught - his hold is so fragile I don't want to trash it by barging in with my "superior", 30 year old methods. However, no answers included. Now, I can sort of get them all, probably, but sometimes, when in denial, children need the official verification of a printed answer and not just my annoying assertion that I'm right. Plus, to be honest, there's some bits of maths I don't remember.

So, I phoned Collins and a very nice lady said that no, the answers would be with the teachers' pack which costs ... £100!!!!! She's going to see what she could do but when I get a bee in my bonnet it buzzes and I want to sort things out NOW.

I also saw, there, Compelte Mathematics by Alan Smith, pub Hodder. That looked nice and clear ... but .... no b*****y answers again!

All I want to do is find some way of encouraging and helping him at home and I'm thwarted. I tried the CGP (?) but didn't quite click with it. Any thoughts from any wise souls??

Thank you
(I've even removed the baby to aid concentration!)
chad

Post by chad »

I started by buying 'practice books) but came across the same problem of 'no answers'. In the end I bought my son the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Maths.

It has easy to follow diagrams and loads of examples. Brill for KS3. As it is easy to understand it allows them to apply the same rules to any questions. It helps with a more thorough understanding of the maths and is a useful backup to explaining why you are right.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
Milla

Post by Milla »

thank you, I'd assumed Usborne were for a younger age range but will give this one a go.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Chai

Post by Chai »

Try http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects ... /book8.htm.

When you buy the books - there is an online order form or you can call them - you get a password to access the answers and extra activities.

Also, when you buy any type of workbooks (doesn't have to be the cimt ones), make sure

child is not just doing the work daily, but that

you mark the work immediately so he gets feedback and you know how he is doing,

he does the corrections and

if you mark the work, you can very quickly pick out the weak areas and maybe you can go over certain concepts again, just to make sure he understands where he went wrong and what he should and should not be doing.

** sorry to sound patronising re marking and corrections. I am guilty of this myself and think if D has done the work, she should improve. It doesn't work this way (I have found this out the hard way).

Hope this helps.
Milla

Post by Milla »

thanks Chai. I'll take a look at that and meanwhile the Usborne has arrived. In my eagerness :? I ordered two copies - all that impatient clicking on website named after a big river. My mother has been foolish enough to suggest she might do maths GCSE next year so guess who's getting what for mothers' day!!!
Also, very impressed with Collins who sent me the answers which were part of the teachers' £100 pack and got the practice books for a penny or so on That Website.
My poor poor about-to-be-maths-upped boy!! :cry:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
Milla

Post by Milla »

just had to say that the woman at Collins very kindly sent me the answers!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Does your dc use "mymaths" online system at school? If they do they can also sign on at home and use it. My dd - in year 10 now - found that brilliant for explaining the tricky bits of key stage 3 :)
Milla

Post by Milla »

thanks, tiredmum (you can go and lie down now!) I saw this mentioned on this site just now and was going to ask DS1 when he gets in.
He'll lie, I expect! Our enthusiasm for maths is at differing ends of the scale!