Maths preparation advice request

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11plusmum99

Maths preparation advice request

Post by 11plusmum99 »

Can anyone advice of relevant preparation papers for maths apart from bonds?

Thanks

11plusmum99
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

We used Bond. Alpha, Susan Daughtrey (good for VR) and Letts which is now Nfer. The NFer multiple choice papers are really good and I think this company actually prepare the Q's for the Kent 11+ - so the Question types are pretty similar.
If planning to do St O's test - would recommend the Bond English and Maths - I think they are slightly harder than the other papers - DS always scored slightly lower on these but great practice as maths are not multiple choice so they can't guess the answer but have to work it out.
When we were in this position last year, people were saying to aim for 75% on the practice papers but if you are trying for the SS Grammars I think you have to be aiming for over 85% towards the end. Don't know if anyone agrees with this, as am basing it on our DS's practice scores and actual test scores on the day.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

Try some of the free papers that the various publishers have on their pages - they are mentioned on the resources pages here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/revisi ... wnload.php under the free practice papers on the LHS.

Also schools like HABS http://www.habsboys.org.uk/info/examina ... 11plus.php have some great papers worth looking at without a time limit, maybe just a few questions at a time. Also I think the national maths challenge papers at http://www.m-a.org.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=251are worth a try particularly the November ones (the Feb ones probably go a bit further than 11+ needs)

We didnt feel that past SATs papers were of any use at all but a good strong knowledge of times tables & logic puzzles really helps.
See for example numbers 74 & 75 for logic type of questions (these are the sheets given out for extension work at school) http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/e ... IG1713.pdf

Good luck
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

11plusmum99

I have just posted what we are using in my other thread on how everyone is getting on for 2010....

A bit of a long ramble from me but hope you can read between the lines
Impossible is Nothing.
11plusmum99

Maths preparation paper

Post by 11plusmum99 »

Thanks everyone for your replies.
doodles

Post by doodles »

We used the above and also the Schofield and Sims books - mental maths and problem solving.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
committed

Post by committed »

We're also serious fans of Schofield & Sims. My kids use it in school, but you can buy them online easily. I think it also works really well because the 'tests' are split into 3 sections where the questions are graduated (something that I think happens in the Maths test).
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi - I can vouch for the comment on practice for timed sections. We didn't and it really did impact on the actual day. Ensure you work to the timed bit really strictly it will help enormously!

Good luck :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Last years paper had an emphasis on problem solving apparently and there was little algebra.
when the process will end

Post by when the process will end »

The course content is the same for all the GS exams. I believe that one should therefore study and practice using a variety of material rather than a specific publisher. There is a very good list of publishers on this web site and each publisher tackles the subject quite differently and the level of difficulty is quite varied.

The advantage is that your DC under exam conditions is ready for whatever is thrown at him/her.

Visiting Waterstones is a very good idea to check the questions and books of various publishers and for good deals.

Some of the Indies have sample 11+ papers on their website like HABS Boys. My DS always found the Indie sample papers harder compared to the papers from any of the publishers. Some indies send you a sample paper and a registration form when you register your interest on their website.

Past SAT papers for Maths are good practice but my DS found them quite easy. However past SAT English papers are very good if you are considering Super Selectives like St Olaves having standard type written exams.