St Pauls Girls School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Harrowparent

St Pauls Girls School

Post by Harrowparent »

What do parents think of SPGS?

Would this be a suitable school for a state school child, would they be able to mix and integrate with the children there?

I assume most of the parents would be quite well off, we are a ordinary family with a ordinary income, who when holidaying choose cheap destinations like Haven, or a deal to Spain.

I went to the open day and most of the parents and children seem to know each other, we felt a little left out. We are having second thoughts. I would hate to think our DD would be left out, not make friends.

Any opinions good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

HarrowParent
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

I would say go for it if:
1. Your child is very bright and would thrive in an intellectually challenging environment.
2. Your child is self-assured (quietly or loudly) and could hold her own against some very big personalities.
3. Your child loved the school on the open day.

There will be a number of the very rich and very posh, but this can be more of a problem in the "cream" schools (cream as in "rich and thick"). Competition at St Pauls is more likely to be academic. Ordinary kids often have lots in the way of parenting and home stability that is of equal value to cash in the bank and exotic holidays.

If your daughter, however bright, is more likely to thrive in a gentler or more mixed ability environment, think about it carefully. Girls themselves pick up quite a lot on Open Days. The school is also quite good at spotting who is a potential Paulina and who is not. It is not the right school for everyone, but money is not key determining factor.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I do not recocgnise London Mum's "rich and thick" scenario but I would still urge you to go for it! The upside is far more positive than the downside. One life, one love , one chance!
Flamenco

Post by Flamenco »

Neither do I.

This is a disgraceful remark and it's comments like this that's brought this Forum into disrepute.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Sorry absolutely no offense meant.

I probably meant to say absolutely the opposite of what was understood. A child only gets into a school like St Pauls because they have done very well.

So no need at all to worry about others being richer or posher. A child is there because they have earned a place. People at a St Pauls Open Day who seem to know each other will probably be from a smallish number of West London prep schools who act as feeders. Only a proportion will get in and once in the girls will make new friends, as with any other secondary.

If someone is worried about whether their child might fit in, there may be one or two schools where the intake is considered to be more socially narrow. But this would probably show on an open day.

However in view of the misunderstanding I am happy to for my posts to be deleted.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No problem Londonmum - I understood what you meant and think it was quite clear.
I think it is true that at truly academic schools the background of the children has little relevance.
Mark Thyme

Post by Mark Thyme »

Londonmum, I thought "cream schools" was pretty funny. I can think of a number of them. I'm not disputing their reason for existing. Not all children are academic and, for parents who can afford it, an alternative to the local comp is nice. But some of the specimens who go to these schools really are something to behold.

But on the subject to hand. As the middling middle class parent of a girl about to go to St Paul's, I'm hoping it's not stacked full of plutocrats and billionaires. Most of the girls I know going or already there, seem to be from families with similar professional backgrounds, who have to think about where the fees are coming from. As far as I can tell, the things common to all these girls is intellectual curiosity and self confidence.
FirstTimeBuyer

Post by FirstTimeBuyer »

DD of friends there.
Daughter and parents are of sort much more interested in person than their bank balance.
In first year there for her DD, mother regaled us with anecdotes illustrating the entirely unselfconscious nature of other pupils interest in learning. 8)
Exams are formidable for the best prepared. The greatest fool may ask what the wisest man cannot answer.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't personally know St Paul's but I was fortunate enough to have been taught by Miss Diggory when she taught at KEHS.

I cannot imagine that a school previously under her headship would have anything less than a love of learning and would have attached any importance to the background of the girls.
Harrowparent

Post by Harrowparent »

londonmum wrote:Sorry absolutely no offense meant.

I probably meant to say absolutely the opposite of what was understood. A child only gets into a school like St Pauls because they have done very well.

So no need at all to worry about others being richer or posher. A child is there because they have earned a place. People at a St Pauls Open Day who seem to know each other will probably be from a smallish number of West London prep schools who act as feeders. Only a proportion will get in and once in the girls will make new friends, as with any other secondary.

If someone is worried about whether their child might fit in, there may be one or two schools where the intake is considered to be more socially narrow. But this would probably show on an open day.

However in view of the misunderstanding I am happy to for my posts to be deleted.

Londonmum,

Many thanks for the comments; I didn’t take offence, but I am not rich, though perhaps a bit thick!

I did feel left out and felt the parents to a little extent excluded me; as you mentioned probably because they knew each other. The children seemed to know each other quite well, From listening to conversations, I did feel we were transferring from the minor leagues. also felt a little class conscious perhaps that was just me being me.

I would hate for my daughter to be excluded. She quite a reserved child, a little shy, but will speak her mind if challlenged She extremely popular in her current school amongst both the boys and girls, to certain extent because she very good at sports and one of the brightest in the year. She is a bit of a tomboy, an example of this, I am currently sitting outside a Scaletrix party in Northwood; I have been banished to the car as I am giving her bad luck, she’s the only girl in the group ;-) I assume most children from the preps would have been taught to a higher standard and will have a head start in at least Latin, French, etc, this may make her feel more insecure if she has difficulty in making friends and finding friends with similar interests.

Lack of uniform is a concern, my dd isn’t a follower of fashion, I am concerned that children will be coming into school with designer clothes, while she is happier with a pair of jeans and a T-shirt and may get left out because of this.

We do have a very good free back up, but need to let them know next week if she is coming or not.

Thanks again for the advice it was very much appreciated.