NVR Raw and Standardised Scores - Warks 2009 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rose petal

NVR Raw and Standardised Scores - Warks 2009 test

Post by Rose petal »

Hi All,

I am appealing for a place at Alcester Grammar School and I am trying to work out how many more questions correct in NVR would have earned my DD an automatic place. I currently think that just one or two more correct would have secured her a high enough standardised score to have automatically qualified. But I need help!!

Can any of you kind people whose DC sat the Warwickshire test last year, please let me have their DCs raw and standardised scores in NVR along with month of birth.

If you don't want to post on here, please think about sending me a PM.

Thank you
Rose Petal :)
KenR

Post by KenR »

I obtained a detailed analysis of the raw to standardised conversion table some years ago for the B/Ham Ke Durham CEM exam. Warwickshire will be broadly similar

For the NVR section questions for a child of my son's age at the time 10.85 the conversion were:-

49/70=113, 50/70=114, 52/70=116

In summary, roughly 1:1 at about the pass mark
purrrfect

Post by purrrfect »

Hi Rose Petal

My DD's standardised score in nvr was 119 her raw score was 24/37 (february born)
hth and good luck
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

kenR and Purrfect

Thanks for your replies.

Heres hoping for a few more, please :lol:

Rose Petal
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Pleased to help you RP:

My daughter's standardised score for NVR was 136. Her raw score was 31/37. December birthday.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi Rose petal,
Would you also mind posting your own raw and standardised scores, please?

Good luck with your appeal. It seems like AGS was harder to qualify for this year as the score required went up from 325 (317) to 329 (321). I don't fully understand the standardisation process so not sure if it is valid to make comparisons from one year to the next, but I am sure one of the resident statisticians on here could clarify, if necessary. Anyway, it sounds like you were quite close and may have a good chance of success, fingers crossed.

There were a couple of NVR scores posted last year, in case you missed them. The NVR had the same number of marks allocated and as far as I can gather it was very similar or the same content.
24/37 standardised to 123 (Jan birthday)
31/37 standardised to 143 (don't know birthday)
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

Thanks for all your replies.

My DD, born in Jan scored 16/37 which was standardised to 98. I really expected a better NVR than that and if I would have had to make a prediction before the test on which subject she would have done best in I would have said NVR. How wrong you can be.

She had better scores in VR and Num, hence why I am only enquiring about raw and standardised scores in NVR.

Based on the two replies so far with 2009 scores, both of which luckily were Winter babies also, I think that another 3 right would have secured her an automatic place.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

22, 113, October

Good luck.
Mr Benn

Re: NVR Raw and Standardised Scores - Warks 2009 test

Post by Mr Benn »

Hi peeps.

Just trying to get my head round how the scores are worked out here. I do understand there is some affect on the score based on when your child is born. Does that make it the 'standardized' score. Mine was born in April, so some pluses there ?! :)

Can you please just clarify , do you receive an actual breakdown then of what your child scored in each subject ? (I assume you dont get this till Feb / March ?)

My real query is what sort of per centage does a child need to score to get in ? i realise it changes every year. Im just trying to judge what sort of % she should be scoring in the Bond books we are using. We are using a mix of Fourth and Fifth books.

Thanks
Rose petal

Re: NVR Raw and Standardised Scores - Warks 2009 test

Post by Rose petal »

On March 1st (National Allocation Day) you will receive from Worcs CC the school to which your child has been allocated, later (March 2nd this year) you will receive from Warks CC your childs standardised score, along with what was needed for each of the grammar schools in Warks and the ranking of your child compared to the others who took the 11+. If you want to know the raw scores you need to ring for them.

I think the ideal of standardisation is to adjust for summer born children generally getting less marks in the exam and putting all the children on a par, regardless of which month they were born in. What it does mean is that with the same raw score an August child will get a higher standardised score than one born in the Autumn. There are countless articles about this on the forum.

I cannot tell you what percentage is necessary to get in the bond books (obviously the higher the better though) as the 11+ is very different with many more questions to complete in the time available and also your child will be measured realitive (sp?) to the others who took the 11+ at the same time as them. The actual raw % needed to get a place in Warks was not high but you can't compare that to bond books (or any other materials) percentages as it is like comparing apples and pears. The only advice I would give is that I believe you should give the 11+ a shot if your child is bright - top table/sets, good SATs etc., to complete a range of different materials and also make your child aware that they will be faced with many, many questions and to probably not to expect to be able to get to the end of them all.

Hope that helps :D

Rose Petal.