A level Government and Politics

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pensby

A level Government and Politics

Post by Pensby »

Hi
DD is thinking changing from geography A level to government and politics - she is also doing english lit,english lang and psychology -(she starts A levels in Sept)

seems to be a sensible choice but I know very little about politics A level -so would like some opinions

she dosen't really know what do at Uni but thinking about english -so think politics probably goes better

any advice before she makes the final decision !

thanks Pensby :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Master yoyo is considering that as well,would be interested to find out a bit more about it.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

hi Yoyo

Lets hope that someone out there can give us some info ! :lol:

What other subjects is Master Yoyo doing ?

Hope politics is not considered a "soft" option

Pensby
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

he's doing AS philosopy and ethics, psychology and graphic design. Also wants to take another AS level next year. He's very fond of arguing so teh first 2 are perfect for him.

Not an ideal combination I know but at the time we were just relieved he actually wanted to do something after GCSEs.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Oxford offer a degree in Philosophy and Psychology, also another in Politics, Philosophy and Economics (Tony Blair's qualification). A pity they have dropped Politics, Philosophy and Psychology - it would have been perfect for your daughter.
Loopy
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

My ds did Chem, Bio and Government and Politics for A level and is now at med school so I don't imagine it's viewed as a 'soft option'.
layla

Post by layla »

My daughter is also considering doing Government & Politics with chemistry biology & maths. On her form she put down History but was told about Gov & politic by her interviewer who told her that from her Record of achievement she would be a good candidate for the course. She does enjoy debates and reading current issues. But now is not sure which to choose Gov & politics or History.

asdguest: how did your daughter find the combination of her A levels & did she enjoy Gov & politics?? My daughter is hoping to go on to study dentistry
another mother

Post by another mother »

My dd considered Politics as she does a lot of debating too but was put off when she looked at the course and felt she could get a lot of it from reading the papers anyway. What she has found useful throughout the choosing process - and we aren't completely decided yet - is talking to students doing the courses in the years above. A couple of them said that a lot of politics was very simple and too much was about the US system.

History is in many ways a broader and hugely respected discipline.

I've also heard that if you do PPE at Oxford you cover the economics in A level in the first 6 weeks. But you need to check the course requirements exactly.
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

DS studied Government and Politics along with Economics, Maths and Spanish. He dropped Government and Politics after AS as he said he found the subject boring. Ironically he said that it was the easiest subject out of all the subjects he was studying and would have been confident in achieving an A grade at A2. Despite this he insisted in dropping the subject as he couldn't face studying it for another year.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

My son wants to do History, Politics, Biology and IT in September. We have had lots of feedback from people - a couple of whom are senior school teachers, who do not seem to view politics as a soft option. DS would like to go on to do a degree in History - we have researched this and apparently it is a very employable degree.