School Deposit / Bursary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Maybelle

School Deposit / Bursary

Post by Maybelle »

Hi,
DD has now been offered the "dream" school place. The problem we now have is that we now need to apply for a bursary (if any left), but acceptance deposit is due by Friday... If we pay the deposit, but no bursary is available - would we still forfeit our deposit (which is being paid by grandparent)? Has anyone else been in this position before?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think you definately need to speak to the school first before paying deposit and ask them about how you can apply for a bursary. The problem is if you accept place and pay deposit some indies have it in the small print that if you pull out you will be eligible for a term's fees so they can persue you for that even if you DC doesnt end up in that school.

I dont know the school you have in question but most of the schools I have looked at want you to put an application for bursary almost at the same time you put in an application which in most cases was end of last year for 2010 intake. Some few schools however want you to pass the scholarship test first and if you are in hardship apply for a bursary. The deadline for this year has passed for almost all the schools however I would say ring the school and find out or if thats a bit much for you maybe just send admission an email explaining your situation and see what they say
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed - definitely have to discuss the possibility of bursary with school BEFORE paying deposit.
Paying that implies you are going to go there under the current conditions.
Some scores make bursaries available to kids who reach a certain standard in the exam while others make them available to all - best find out quick.
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

Thanks for your input. We are going to see bursar tomorrow - though we are definitely cutting it fine...
Suey12

Post by Suey12 »

Maybelle, many congrats to your DD. Good luck with the bursary, hope it goes well with the bursar tomorrow.
Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

Many Thanks, Suey12... I am too scared to let myself be fully overjoyed just yet, just incase no help is available. I need to keep my feet on the ground still, just can't stop myself hoping...
guest43

Post by guest43 »

Maybelle

Post by Maybelle »

Hi. Thanks for the valuable info - I believe that we are talking about the same school... :) And I do feel a little less nervous now... I think. :oops:
guest43

Post by guest43 »

3pink

Post by 3pink »

Also be aware that the bursary for one year doesn't necessarily apply to the following year. We have been lucky enough to be awarded a three for the price of two deal when moved our children to the school and now they are happy and settled and doing very well I must say, it has been withdrawn for the next year despite our income going down not up.
Don't rely on the bursary for the duration unless it specifically states that is the case.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now