How much computer/television for a ten year old?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

How much computer/television for a ten year old?

Post by ourmaminhavana »

My ten year old DS who will be eleven in May is about to get his own computer with internet access and the ability to play games etc. I'm think of allowing around 45 minutes a day on school days plus extra if he wants to use it for 'school related' activities, stories, presentations etc. I realise that there'll be a policing issue with this.
Plus half an hour of television time each night. Am I being mean? Unrealistic? Or about right?!
He's suddenly gone computer mad, whereas he used to love reading, drawing and inventing his own games. He's reading again now as I've said no more computer, television etc tonight and seems happy to do so.
He's also busy with Scouts, piano etc
I'd be very interested to know what anyone else allows during the week and at weekends.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:oops: :oops: I never put any limits....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I never put any limits either - but dd is sensible and doesn't go over the top on computer/tv.

If your ds regulates himself (ie: does other 'stuff' too) I can't see a problem with it.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Ah, but in the first flush of computer freedom and with a recent freeview box (we're rather behind the times here) he doesn't regulate himself. Even trying to get him to come off my laptop after an agreed time is a nightmare. :(
You're making me sound a real meanie now :oops:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

You don't sound like a meanie. In fact, you're making me feel like a bad parent. No regulation here, but I would if it all started to get abused. I think that putting limits on, whilst a great idea, may just make these novelties feel like novelties for longer - forbidden fruit and all that.
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

Some children are naturally addicted - my 11-year-old DS, I think! :shock:

I allow half an hour before school on the computer, with bonuses when I want some peace and quiet - oops, meant to say bonuses when he has earned them through good work, thoughtful behaviour etc...

My DD is not an addict, and she has the same limit, but often doesn't use it. I wouldn't limit her if it wasn't for my son, as she's quite sensible.

I don't limit tv, as neither are addicted... I really should limit myself, though!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I don't set limits apart from no computer etc after 7pm (tv allowed) unless I think they are spending too much time on them. Funnily enough, there's probably more limits set during holidays, purely to stop them spending all day, everyday on them.

Generally speaking, mine aren't too addicted, and in the better weather would prefer to be out on their bikes with their friends.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

No real limits here either :oops:
DS does spend a fair amount of time on his ipod,but this does tend to be seasonal. One squint of sunshine & the football boots come out & he can't be seen for mud :lol:
DD is really not interested.
The amount of time I spend trawling these pages should probably be better controlled though :lol:
Once the novelty wears off I'm sure he will find he has better things to do.
Sallyj.
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

I'm starting to feel like a control freak!

We have (notional) limits of one hour on weekdays and one and a half hours at weekends, which is supposed to include all 'screen time' - games consoles, TV and computer. The limits have been eroded over the couple of years that they've been in place, though, especially as certain TV programmes seem to be deemed not to count (notably The Simpsons). The children are supposed to put a kitchen timer on when they go on the computer (or games etc.) and stop when it goes off. I spend half my life asking 'why is the timer bleeping and whose time is up?'. And of course they often 'forget' to put the timer on.

Still, you gotta have a system, and at least I've got rules to refer to when screen time gets out of hand, as it often does during the holidays.
Milla

Post by Milla »

muffinmonster wrote:I'm starting to feel like a control freak!

We have (notional) limits of one hour on weekdays and one and a half hours at weekends, which is supposed to include all 'screen time' - games consoles, TV and computer. The limits have been eroded over the couple of years that they've been in place, though, especially as certain TV programmes seem to be deemed not to count (notably The Simpsons). The children are supposed to put a kitchen timer on when they go on the computer (or games etc.) and stop when it goes off. I spend half my life asking 'why is the timer bleeping and whose time is up?'. And of course they often 'forget' to put the timer on.

Still, you gotta have a system, and at least I've got rules to refer to when screen time gets out of hand, as it often does during the holidays.
yup, I'm with you! both on attempts to do it and dismal success rate oh (3 boths) and on attitude towards Simpsons - not helped by that being transmitted ALL the time. And when it's not, it's Futurama which is even worse as shoutier.
Anyway, as others have said, the plus side is that enthusiasm for all these things seems to ebb and flow and a bit of sun does wonders for luring them away. Bring on the sun!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now