Harrogate Ladies' College or Queen Margaret's School?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

abab

Harrogate Ladies' College or Queen Margaret's School?

Post by abab »

My daughter has an offer from these 2 schools. Which one is better? Please give advice.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of either of these two schools.

How did you feel about them when you visited? Does your daughter have a preference? Is one easier to get to than the other? Does one school teach a preferred subject?
abab

Post by abab »

we are living overseas. I just get information from the league table, inspection report and school websites. Therefore, I want some more informal information from parents around the area or those who knows these 2 schools.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The only bit I can help you with (I live in Harrogate) is that Harrogate Ladies' College is very well thought of, it's not academically selective, but I think the results are good. It's based (litereally) in the centre of town.

Have you considered Ashville, one of the best schools in North Yorkshire - it's a boarding school should you need it, but is co-ed (I note the other two are girls only schools). Find the ewebsite here: http://www.ashville.co.uk/

Leeds Grammar (not a grammar school but an independent) has a 'diamond' system which means the intake is mixed (boys and girls) who share common form/tutor time but go off for single sex lessons and come together again at break/lunch times. Again the standard is very high and may suit you as the best of both worlds. My one thing against Leeds Grammar is it's a big school - find the website here: http://www.leedsgrammar.com/
abab

Post by abab »

Thanks to the help of Snowdrops. The Grammar School at Leeds is really a big and excellent school. However, it's a day school without boarding. Do any one know Harrogate Ladies' College at Clarence Drive of Harrogate and Queen Margaret's School at Escrick Park of York?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I only know of a couple of girls who were at my DDs prep have gone to Harrogate Ladies and seem to be enjoying it. Not what I would have chosen necessarily.

Don't know of any at Queen Margaret's I am afraid.

On of the things about North Yorks indies is that there are lots of girls places and relatively few boys - schools are either co ed or girls only.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I don't think you'll get much of a response from people regarding these two specific schools as the Yorkshire forum is very quiet.

I can tell you Ripon Grammar School takes boarders - it might be something you'd like to look at? Website here: http://www.ripongrammar.co.uk/ - now that is a school I can thoroughly recommend!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now