Results [2]

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Results [2]

Post by patricia »

Dear Buckinghamshire parents/tutors

Started a new thread as the original has gone off course.

The going rate among my local schools seems to be that the number of children passing has fallen. The majority that passed only gained 'just above' the cut off of 121. Very few gained over 130.

There is a large gap between 115 and 121 ie. not many in this range. A number on 114/115 are appealing [ with heads backing] because they 'should have' passed, according to the y6/heads.

Interesting don't you think?

I would be very interested in any other result variations in Bucks schools

Patricia
betty

pass?

Post by betty »

what do you mean 'should have passed'? I thought to pass the 11+ you had to score over 111.Do you mean 'should have got in ' to the school--or is the 'pass' mark different in Bucks to Slough

Post by Guest »

The pass mark is 121 for Bucks, 111 for Slough. It doesn't mean that the exam is more difficult in Bucks, just that the scores are standardised differently.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Patricia,

I am glad that you raised this subject. I tried on another thread but no one seemed interested.
We noticed a variation in the opposite direction. The pass rate in our local school had been 4 out of 60 for years, whereas it was 10 this year. In addition, at least 4 scores were above 130, with one 141.

I thought that this might be due to more tutoring, but also to the change in the allocation procedure in Bucks. I may have been wrong at least on the second point, because you did not notice a similar trend.
Out of interest, do you know when Bucks changed from selecting pupils by test score to selecting by location?
Last edited by Catherine on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marion

Post by Marion »

Patricia

It's very interesting about the appeals on 114/115. Our daughter scored 113 and was very disappointed as, again, the school said she "should have passed"(!) We, too, were surprised by the margin under 121. We had ruled out appealing as not realistic at this score. Should we think again or do you think those you know appealing at 114/115 are flogging a dead horse and at 113 it would already be six foot under??
betty

Post by betty »

does anyone ever get to see the score break down from previous years i.e how many scored what? You mention ' at leastlat least 4 scores were above 130, with one 141.'--that's really interesting. Where did you get that piece of info?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

They are just the scores of kids from our son's school. The children had been told not to disclose their mark to each other by the head teacher, but last monday they talked about nothing else. I just know theses high scores and a few others. I don't have the whole picture of how the school performed.

The school won't officially give the number of passes, and even less the score break. I don't think that the council would do it either, but I may be wrong.
patricia

Post by patricia »

In previous years some schools allocated on score, not all. Two years ago the LEA enforced the rule of allocating on locality not score.

Much better, I believe. Borlase were infamous for creaming off the top starting at 141 and working downwards, which meant a child with 121 or just above and lived 200 yards away couldn't get in.

As far as I am concerned a pass is a pass and if you look at the GCSE pass rates of all the local grammars they are very much the same, even when some grammars were creaming off the top. So what was the point?

I don't think the enforcement of the rule would make a difference to the results of the 11 plus an opinion

Catherine and Betty

Any one appealing will be sent a breakdown of the scores across the county and the school that particular child attends. so if any one out there is appealing, we would all be interested in the breakdown.

Dear Marion

I have said under the appeal thread, if you and your school believe that your child should be in a grammar, then go for it. Do you know why your daughter under performed? The LEA/PANEL will want to know why.

Good luck - whatever you decide

Patricia
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hi everyone

Just thought I would let you know that at our school about 19 passed the Bucks test and I believe atleast 4 passed the Slough one. In The bucks one child scored 140 and atleast 3 were up in the 130's, most I believe were around 123ish. I know of only two being supported for appeals and they missed by one or two points.

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now