German or Ancient greek?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

German or Ancient greek?

Post by Minesatea »

My year 7 ds currently studies french and latin. He has to choose one of german or ancient greek to study for the next two years. Whichever he opts out of can't be taken later.

Do any of you wise folks have any thoughts?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Which does he prefer, Latin or French?

i.e. is he keen on Classics or MFL?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Not overly keen on either. He's a science/maths/music child.

He has to take french to gcse but the others can be dropped at the end of year 9.

If pushed he will say he prefers Latin.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mmm tricky and I entirely appreciate the problem,... as a truly science / maths kid I was left with French and Latin (ugh) and not made to start anything else in the language line.

I think some people who are science / maths bods find german easier ... my 2 DCs seem to be going down that line.

I wish now Ihad done greek AND german .... but oh the Retrospectoscope is such and wonderful instrument..... :oops:
Amber

Post by Amber »

What a wonderful choice! Great school, obviously - just a pity he has to do the French. Either would be fine, with a slight edge for the Ancient Greek if he wants to do a highly over-subscribed course like medicine at uni because it will make him stand out. But so, these days, would the German, so he should probably do the one he is likely to be best at. My DD is doing Ancient Greek and is totally loving it. Good luck.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Minesatea wrote: He's a science/maths/music child.
I've had three of these, who all get on much better with German than any of their other languages (French/ Spanish) - in fact DS2, currently doing a Maths degree (and plenty of extra music) has been doing a top-up German course at university, while DD is hoping to take German to A level.
(Mind you, none of them were offered Latin or Greek, but it doesn't seem to have hindered either of my DSs now costing me a fortune at university....!)
Milla

Post by Milla »

I did Greek and am so pleased now that I did. On another strand here it says how very many get A*s for it cf media studies and, while that's not the only reason, it's encouraging. It still impresses people now but it did suit me (good memory - then, sigh - which suited being able to learn great chunks of the translations off by heart, and liking using the different alphabet)
PS, EDIT: Was and Am possibly the least scientific person on the planet.
KB

Post by KB »

Scientific DS finiding German much easier than French.

I'll PM.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

No question about it, it just has to be Ancient Greek. He'll regret it forever if he doesn't. It is such great fun.

Besides all the Germans speak English anyway, but I've yet to meet an Ancient Greek who does.
Loopy
guest43

Post by guest43 »

del
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now