Engineering or Systems and Control?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Engineering or Systems and Control?

Post by hermanmunster »

Can anyone enlighten this poor old dinosaur about these GCSE's

Option is to do engineering (double award) or Systems and Control (1 GCSE) ... food now a non starter...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

is there anything on the exam board's website?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Have had a read but TBH they both sound the same!
Looking for help

Re: Engineering or Systems and Control?

Post by Looking for help »

hermanmunster wrote:food now a non starter...
Having just discovered today we need to cook 6 different dishes and evaluate them before next Wednesday for our coursework, I am very glad to hear you opted out. Sorry can't be of any help concerning engineering or systems control.
Yours,
Seriously watching masterchef tomorrow of Berkshire
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LFH ... reckon you should try Two Fat Ladies book ... wonderful ... all the quantities haywire but v tasty!!

6 different dishes .... can we help???

Actually what put us off this evening was when the teacher speaking about Food Tech said "then they move on to studying food as a complex material...." mmmm
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Exactly herman, this is not rocket science. The course has changed this year...no longer Food Tech, but Home Economics, I think they think Economics in the title suggests something exciting :shock: To be honest..it's not anything fantastic we need to be cooking, it's just that we haven't really been coooking since Decemebr, and to suddenly be told we need to think of 6 recipes and cook them in 7 days, it's a bit annoying. But erm just maybe my daughter has been fairly economical with the truth :lol: ( She may have known for sometime about this next set of cooking and coursework :shock: )
Tree

Post by Tree »

i would say engineering if more structural civil or pure mechanical engineering is end point and systems control if electrical engineering chemical engineering aeronautical is end game - if that makes sense
Tree

Post by Tree »

oh i see she wants to do medicine in which case the one she's more likely to get an a* in
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Thanks Tree,

I'm beginning to get to grips with these... maybe I should take the GCSE now :roll: .
Problem is that it is an all girls school and they have do one of these. Despite several of them have radical feminist mothers they are not keen on any of the options (3rd is food tech). ......
KB

Post by KB »

I don't have any knowledge of these but if neither are relevent to further study would find out from school how much course work is required& go for the least.
Know lot sof academic pupils who ended up spending lots of time on course work that wasn't of much value beyond the requirements of the particular exam.
Different if they enjoy the subject / are going to use the skills going forward of course.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now