What would you expect to hear at a parents' evening?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

What would you expect to hear at a parents' evening?

Post by mystery »

Have a child in Year 1. In reception the school would not share the Foundation Stage profile assessment scores with parents. Is this normal?

In Year 1 would you expect to hear teacher's guestimate of child's national curriculum levels in maths, english, science, and what they are hoping for by end of Year 2? Would you expect to receive results of any assessment tests they have done during the year (reading assessments, maths assessments etc?)

What rights do you have to receive this information, and if the school does not give it to you freely when you ask, how could you follow this up without damaging a relationship with teacher, headteacher etc?
KB

Post by KB »

The teaher should have an assessment of the current NC levels for your child - not 'guesstimates'but accurate teacher assessments and they should have targets for each child.

Did you get an explanation of why the school has a policy not to share these with parents?

I doubt it is anything to do with the class teacher - thge decision will have been taken by the Head teacher so I wouldn't risk your realationship with the class teacher by discussing it with them.

Start by asking for a meeting with the Headteacher & ask for an explanation of why these levels are not shared with parents and how you should guage your child's progress and attainment with out them. You don't need tobe confrontational - more of a ' I don't understand' approach!

Unfortunately if you can't get it sorted out with the Head teacher then yo would need to write to the Chair of Governors.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks for this. Do you mean that in Reception you should get the Foundation Stage Profile points? I thought that from reading the DCFS guidance.

In Year 1 would you expect NC levels, or really only in year 2? Is it set down anywhere that this should be shared with parents at either Year 1 or Year 2?

And what about other assessments? Does one have a legal right to the results of these e.g. Suffolk reading tests, Heinemann maths tests etc.

Thanks
Milla

Post by Milla »

They generally seem pretty cagey about handing out marks. I remember being shocked to find that DS2's reading age was 125 or something when he was 7. He was having probs at school with a thug-let, and I found out his reading age by accident and thought later, why didn't they tell me this, at least I could have had some scraps of comfort in thinking, well he might be being punched a bit but at least he's good at reading.

Maybe they don't want to encourage playground smugness and one upmanship / panic and desperation? Children mature at all different times and maybe they don't want to seem to be labelling them. They take the tests to map the child's progress but wouldn't want the snapshot picture of any individual result to be out in the open. I don't know, just a thought.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes that does seem to be case. But the puzzling thing is that there seem to be so many well informed parents on this site who by the time of their 11+ appeal know every possible measurement of their child from the age of 5 upwards. At this rate I won't know if the school has a cat, let alone if my child has done a C.A.T.!
Milla

Post by Milla »

the school won't have a cat because it is a health and safety issue and a danger to those with allergies. Tut.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I don't know to this day whether or not my dd did a CAT in primary school or indeed if the school administered them.

I do know the breakdown of her year 6 SATs and her reading age as of July 2009 - but only because I asked for them, thanks to this site :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that's a relief as I would be allergic to the fur that came home on their clothes. One thing to which there is a clear answer!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

when my dd was in year 1 i was given her levels atowards the end of that year, i didnt ask they just informed me at the april open day :)
KB

Post by KB »

If you don't have NC levels how do you judge their progress or lack of it?

You don't need a break down of every test they have done! but you should have a teacher's assesment -not based on a snapshot but on an overall picture.