Is your KS2 school stretching level 5?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DarkEnergy

Is your KS2 school stretching level 5?

Post by DarkEnergy »

I have a concern that others may share. My DD's junior school is great at getting level 5 in year 6, but is not stretching those who get level 5 (maths and english) in year 5. It feels (but I may be wrong) that once the school has the student at level 5, they move their attention onto the next level 4 student, apparently ignoring the existing level 5 student.

Surely they should be extending to higher level 5 and aspiring to level 6.

As a worried parent, how do I raise this with the school without totally annoying the **** out of them?
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Anonymouse

Post by Anonymouse »

The school says so, but according to DS no. As he wants to do his best, the teachers' stress about the SATs has affected him, however now I always tell DS to treat the rest of the school year as a holiday.

:wink:
Not sure about raising the issue though, I just pray for next year and GS.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

teachers re supposed to differentiate work for all pupils, easiest way to do this is to provide enrichment. Questions like why? what if? does it always work? how do we know? What more can we find out? are great.

If the school doesn;t you could try sites like nrich for maths.

http://nrich.maths.org/public/index.php

or googling to find how the maths/science they have just learned is used in the real world.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I agree. In my daughters school there a number of children with special needs and as she is doing well in most subject (slow in Composition and comprehension which I've just discovered she has never been taught how to do!) she is not much stimulated.

As we are preparing for the 11+ she is already ahead of the teaching in maths and parts of english and has been paired with a girl who has extra lessons (RML) whilst most of the class are at prayers in the morning. The girl is nice enough, though had poor english skills as she has recently come to the school and I can't help wondering if the teacher is using brighter children in the class as classroom assistants!

It seems to me that schools aim to get as many pupils at level 4 as they can for the KS2 league tables, but that they are dumbing down the potential of brighter children. I'll be glad when these tests are dropped!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think it's difficult because of SATS and yes, inevitably- and unfortunately- the emphasis will be on ensuring that all children reach level four. I feel that while stimulated last year , my DS has been bored this year. Having said that we raised this at DS's recent Parents' Evening and were assured that in maths several of the children are doing algebra and other topics usually reserved for secondary school so that was something. :)
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

2Girlsmum wrote: I can't help wondering if the teacher is using brighter children in the class as classroom assistants!
That's exactly what My DD ends up doing, when she has finished her work she either is told to help the others on her table, or read a book quietly :x She is currently begging me to allow her to not go back after Easter because "it's soooo boring" :(
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

My daughter is just the same she is finding that primary school is really boring.

In our school L loves maths and she did really well in her practice sats paper last months, gatting 1 mark of a 5b. However she says that before she can start her work evey one in the class has to understand what they are being asked to do. Therefore she is somes times just sitting there and is told off if she starts.

A friend of mine when to maths lesson in school last year and she did comment that a lot of the brighter children were finishing there work quick but were not given any more because the teacher was helping other children, she herself was giving them extra sums.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

But they are not able to be awarded with a level 6 in KS2? Not in Kent anyway!

I understand what you are saying though, but from the School's perspective are they just reinforcing 5a level to be 100% sure this will be achieved? We were in a similar postition with DS1 but he has not been adversly affected by the 'easy and boring' stuff. Now that he is 6' 3" and almost 18 he still finds it all easy, even at A level. Makes me sick!

Maybe the DC are simply gifted and will always find it easy? Which is no bad thing.

:wink:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

No, they can't be awarded a level 6 at primary school, but I don't see why that should stop work being set at the appropriate level so that our DC aren't bored which clearly many are...
I can't speak for anyone else, but my concern is that my DS will get switched off if he's not being stimulated by the work:(
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I know what you are saying, and having been there can empathise, but (and I say this with a DS who answered all the CAT and KT questions correclty) your DC will not just switch off. If you are worried get her to do some extra work on websites, I don't know of any but there are loads of suggestions for this sort of thing on the forum.

It is a sad fact that from here on in the schools will be working towards SAT's for all the students and if your DC has already reached that maximum then they will probably just be going over the same stuff.

The only other option is to talk to the school but I would be inclined to let DC enjoy a bit of a lull because as soon as they are in secondary it is a whole new ball game!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now