converting to catholicism

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
purplerose69

converting to catholicism

Post by purplerose69 »

My daughter has been attending a Catholic School since reception and wishes to be a Catholic although she was baptized as an Orthodox Christian. Apparently, the oversubscribed good grammar and selective catholic schools are not interested in anyone apart from catholic children, and at the moment we are facing a difficulty. We are not sure if my daughter can convert to catholicism although she wishes to. Myself, I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian. Will the priest mind and has anyone had a similar experience when applying to a Catholic school? I heard that one of the parents by all means has to be Catholic. Your views are very welcome.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I would not change my religion to get a school place, I'd home school first. What are your daughters motives, if it is purely to get into a same school as her friends then these are not the right motives. Does she understand what conversion would mean. I would be wary that this was a phase and she was doing it for misinformed reasons. If she really wants to convert then she will do so when she is older i.e 14, 15 etc
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

How old is your daughter Purplerose?

It seems she is primary school age and this is really something I think you need to decide for her. She is attending a catholic school so you can expect them to get that sort of teaching.

But my curiosity is if you really arent catholic and worry about her to be catholic why is she is in a catholic school?

Most catholic schools esp the good ones require you to be an active catholic. Infact just yesterday I was reading admission for one school which makes it clear you need to attend church twice a month to be high up in the priority. Its a heavily oversubscribed school and you can only get in if you do that and have a refrence from the priest.

If you are a christian some schools will give you the next priority after their own catholic children so it all depends on how much the school is in demand. Have you checked the admission policy of the secondary school you have in mind?

I have a friend who succesfully appealed and got a place at a heavily oversubscribed catholic school. She was a practising christian but not catholic and was sucessful on the basis that her faith was important to her and her children and that her DD's beliefs made life difficult for her in mainstream schools as they thought her DD was wierd. Just thought it could be another route if you are an othodox christian and dont want your DD to be catholic.
Impossible is Nothing.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

To be really honest the differences theologically between eastern orthodox Christianity and Catholicism are small.They focus around the eucharist and where ecclesiastical authority should be.That is why you can take communion in an orthodox church if you are Catholic.They are theologically closely aligned.
In brief, orthodox Christians do not look to Rome for direction and believe something slightly different about the eucharist.

The reason I mention this, is that a young child cannot possibly have a handle on these differences and therefore any conversion wish will be seen as being tied to social and educational pressures and will not further your cause.In fact they may take a dim view of someone converting for the wrong reasons.

I would just talk to the secondary school and ask if any year has an intake of non catholics.If it is a good school, I suspect probably the answer will be no.Sorry :(
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

have sent you a pm :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I would carefully check the admission policy of the catholic school. Our local one has this:

"8.Members of Eastern Christian Churches who are stated by their Minister of Religion to be regular churchgoers, defined as at least once monthly attendance at Church services and who wish to receive their education in a Christian environment."

and children are regularly admitted from this category.
purplerose69

catholicism

Post by purplerose69 »

Many thanks for your replies. I did check the admissions policies in the schools we will be applying, and I have already contacted them via e-mail. Because they are extremely oversubscribed( e.g. St Michael's Catholic Grammar School for Girls in Barnet), there is no even question about anyone else but Catholic children. In other words, before we even get an invitation to take an exam, we will be sifted out, unfortunately, as the reference would not be from a Catholic priest. It is so stupid but it is a fact. But the saddest thing is that the Catholic church requires at least one of the parents to be Catholic too. Lots of pressure and problems to solve apart from taking the 11+ exams.
moved

Post by moved »

Does the school receive state funding? If so, I believe there is a 12% non-Catholic rule where other children of Christian faith can be accepted. They may not wish to advertise this fact, but it certainly exists for state funded faith schools.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Moved - is that correct about the 12% figure? We have the same question being asked in this area and no-one ever seems to get to the bottom of it. I'd like to know if it's 100% accurate.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Tracy wrote:I'd like to know if it's 100% accurate.
0% unfortunately.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now