Decisions decisions !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Handsome Dad

Decisions decisions !

Post by Handsome Dad »

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read and any advice kindly appreciated.

My daughter is in Year 4, starts Year 5 in September and we're now at the stage where the 11+ tuition / nightmare / situation is nearly upon us !

Is Year 5 too late to start tuition ? Have we missed the boat ?
Who should we get tuition from ?
What are the implications of failure ? Are the non Grammar schools really that bad or is failure not an option ?!!

The primary school she currently attends does not train you for 11+ so the onus is on the parent to teach and prepare.
Are there any decent alternative methods ( e.g. online ) for preparation or is classroom tuition the only route ?

Ideally I'd prefer a small class for my daughter as I guess she'd need more of a personal touch. I understand some classes are attended by 20 plus students.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Welcome to the forum

Year 5 is plenty of time.

It is up to you whether you have a tutor or not, there is plenty of information available on here, if you have the patience and inclination to teach her yourself.

I'm not that familiar with the Berkshire test as I am in Kent, but I am sure lots of people will be able to help.

Just ask!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Berkshire offers Reading (Reading/Kendrick) and the Slough Grammars, they are different exams with some overlap. So you need to think which schools you might want to try for first.

The exams for a current year five will be in September or November, so now is a good time to start.

I would suggest you start with DIY using the resources on this site. :)

steve

:oops: Just re-read, must read more carefully, you have a year and a half, but I would suggest starting now, slow and easy.
Handsome Dad

Cheers for the tips

Post by Handsome Dad »

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I'll do some diy and see how we go.....

However it looks like we have to go down the tutor route....