Books!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kitty1509

Books!!!

Post by kitty1509 »

Ok I hope I am not writing this in the wrong place.

Can anyone recommend some good reading material for a year 6 girl. She is currently reading the spooks apprentice series and loves them. She has read all the harry potter books. She thought the nancy Draw books where ok but was not overjoyed with them, I have been suggested to twilight books, but I'm not sure if they are suitable, she loves mystery stories. Any help would be great.
KB

Post by KB »

Twilight series written by a Mormon so shoudn't be any 'adult' scenes in it but I think the only way you could be sure you are happy would be to read it yourself. I think it probably depends if she takes it at face value as a 'story' or gets into thinking about deeper themes.

Has she tries Jane Austen - good use of language & very funny - not exactly mysteries! but my DD loved them from year 6 onwards.

If she isn't sqeamish the Sherlock Holmes books might be good - DS enjoyed them from about that age.

Hopefully someone with a DD of your age will be along soon with more 'current' ideas!

Oh - there was a 'Diaries' series I seem to recall. Each book in the series was a Diary by a fictional child set in a different historical period. Good stories & gave impression of the history of the time which is handy for school work.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Here's a recent thread you might find useful:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... c&start=10
Amber

Post by Amber »

Off the top of my head: Lauren St John - The White Giraffe; Dolphin Song ;The last Leopard. Anything at all by Michael Morpurgo - Private Peaceful; Running Wild; King of the Cloud Forests and many more; Eva Ibbotoson Journey to the River Sea; The Star of Kazan; all the Tove Jansson Moomin books.

I think Year 6 is a lovely time for books: it gets harder a bit later as I am finding with DD (13) who is between children's and adult literature.

IMHO - not Twilight, but it is just a personal view.
Y

Post by Y »

The Twilight series contain some very adult (but very 'moral') scenes - nothing explicit, but you may not think them appropriate. I was personally happy for my year 6 DS to read the books, after his sister and I had read them, but I agree that you should read the books yourself first to be sure that you're happy for your DD to read them.
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Hi all, thanks for recommendations.

I never thought of the Sherlock Holmes, that is a great suggestion! As for the michael books, she has read quite a few and actually really enjoyed them. I bought her the Eva Ibbotson books for christmas, we have recently finished journey to the river sea and they read dragon fly at school.

Thanks Amber I shall look in to Lauren st John books.
Yummy Mummy

Post by Yummy Mummy »

My daughter has also read the Harry Potter series and has really enjoyed the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz and now reading the Percy Jackson set by Rick Riordan - worth a look.
kitty1509

Post by kitty1509 »

Hi Yummymummy, Percy Jackson was a huge it she loved them and has read them all. They started reading them at school in year 5 and she didn't put them down until they were finished.

We wanted to go and watch the film, I have warned her that the film is never as good as the book though!!!!
CCHSsmiley

Post by CCHSsmiley »

Twilight books are good the last book is the only one you might want to check. Malory blackman noughts and crosses series are good. A very good book is ruby red by Linzi Glass. Hope it helps.
moved

Post by moved »

Off the top of my head:

Witch Child - Sylvi Rees
I Coriander - Judith Kerr
How to train your Dragon series - Cressida Cowell - suitable for younger readers but very funny.
Wolf Brother series - Michelle Paver
Sabriel - Garth Nix (quite dark, but excellent - mentions periods but no other grown up stuff)
The Seventh Tower series - Garth Nix
Atori Clan series - Liam Hearn
Varjak Paw - SF Said
Animal Farm - Orwell
War of the Worlds - HG Wells
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now